the last two weeks have been very productive with help of my son. I got the lasercut- and bent parts for the universal joints. They look really great and are very precise. So I could finish two komplete joints and add them to my actuator prototype.
The joints are extreme robust and dont have any recognizable backlash.
So for the low material cost of aproximately 25,- each , the design of the jonts could be a also a great solution for other DIY sim builders.
(ups, forgot one washer…)
Yesterday I build up a simple test stand. It ist made from cheap wood and although its creaking like a old castle door it works good.
Finally I put the new 36V, 350W power source from meanwell to the system.
To simulate the load of the platform and driver I put aprox 30 kg weight onto the build.
What we have seen at the first runs was mindblowing !!! :
It seems that the actuator has an easy game with all the weight put on it! – And after aprox 15 minutes testing, the motor and the power source remained cold !!!
Because all test were done without the internal air spring and the tests went good, maybe the airspring seem not really be necessary for the 6DOF simulator. I will do more tests and see…
The next steps will be again to optimise the actuator design taking into account all what I have learned so far.
What still need to be solved is the motor calibration sequence that needs to be done without or only with little load. My tests showed me, that with a load of aprox 10 kg it still works, but with 15 kg it fails.
Maybe a short spring or a rubber damper in the lower internal endstop can help…