3D printed case with 5V cooling fan mounts

Here is a case I designed which uses 3 30mm 5V fans connected to the 5V pin. You can download the stl files on Thingiverse

5 Likes

nice design! thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a good idea to put them on the 5V ODrive rail.

Cheers

That is nice of you to express your expert opinion. Would you care to elaborate? I’d be more inclined to head your dire warnings if there was some reason or logic to it. :slight_smile:

According to me, the 5v rail is intended to be used for logic, I think it may destort signals so I would just put a buck converter somewhere. But that’s my opinion

Cheers

That’s not correct. The 5V rail supplies power. What you do with it is up to you. In this case it provides at least 0.5A (500mA) according to Oskar. It really depends on the exact specs of the onboard voltage regulator.

The fans I am using are 0.12A so with three fans that is 0.36A total, so there is plenty of overhead.

I’ve used the 5V and 3.3V pins on Arduinos and Raspberry Pis to power all kinds of things. You just need to make sure you don’t draw more current than the pin is rated for.

You do what you think is good, I wouldn’t do it

Cheers

I think it’s fine, the 5V rail isn’t used for any sensitive analogue circuits, so some noise from the fans is completely fine. I actually have some of my own 5V fans that I intended to do the same with (but never had the time lol).

1 Like

Hello all,

I would like to use this design. I was wondering where exactly the 5 voltage rail is on the board (total beginner here)?

Also I would like to cool my motor with a fan as well. Can I also do this using a 5v fan powered from the odrive board (using a 5v fan), or would it be better to buy a 48v dc fan (my power supply is 48v dc) and power it directly from the power supply?

Also, can the odrive board regulate the fan to control the temperature of the motor?

thx!