6384 Brushless Motor Voltage

Hi All!

Was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice here:

Are pretty much all of the large “63” series motors capable of operating at 48v?

I purchased some of these motors a while back for a project and am now using them with my odrive:
Ebay 6380 Motor

They’re really cheap and sensored (despite the ad) and seem to be fairly well built actually.

For testing purposes I’ve been running them at 15volts. That’s the power supply I had readily on hand. Now I’m looking to scale up to full voltage on them but I’m a bit confused that they are only rated at 36v according to the ad. I think I missed that part when purchasing.

When I looked up BDUAV (the brand stamped on the casing) all I could find was an aliexpress store.

Of course all the specs here are vastly different from the ebay page listing. Including the rated voltage which is 48v. Most of the specs on the Aliexpress page just seem more realistic in general. 3280w vs 4000w, etc.

So I guess at this point my question is whether or not it’s safe to run this motor at 48v? I feel like it should be. But would love some advice from someone more experienced with these types of motors!

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hobby motor voltage ratings are typically based on maximum speed at that DC bus voltage, and have no real bearing on the actual maximum allowable voltage. Actual safe voltage is mostly determined by the enamel on the windings and should be in the hundreds of volts.

Calculate the maximum speed based on Kv * Voltage, and don’t exceed that speed when used with ODrive.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply. So to be clear your suggesting I determine the max speed based on the 36v spec I read and not exceed if I choose to go 48v? This shouldn’t be a problem for my application. I went ahead and ordered a 48v supply so I’ll give it a go with these motors and try to keep the speeds in check.

I think he meant that you have to decide what voltage you need based on your speed requirements. If you go for 36V then you’ll be able to have an idle speed of 4320rpm. If you decide to go to 48V then that will bump up to 5760rpm. In the end voltage doesn’t kill you motor, current does. But of course the bearings will be calculate for a certain load and speed to insure a certain lifetime. By using the motor at its designed load but increased speed could shorten its lifespan.

1 Like