Compiling problems under WIN10 WLS UBUNTU, FUSE: DEVICE NOT FOUND

Hey guys,
I tried to config the environment under WIN10 WLS UBUNTU, did everything like an regular ubuntu,
when I try to make the firmware, it returns an error about “FUSE DEVICE” which I looked up in our community no one has refered that.
Feels like this FUSE is somthing related with LINUX kernel. Does anyone has an idea how to install/solve this problem?

root@VENUS:/home/ODrive/Firmware# make
board version: v3.5-48V
Firmware version 0.5.2-dev (fw-v0.5.2-19-gc8b725b6*)
fuse: device not found, try ‘modprobe fuse’ first
tup error: Timed out waiting for the FUSE file-system to be ready.
tup error: Unable to mount FUSE on .tup/mnt
make: *** [Makefile:33: all] Error 1
root@VENUS:/home/ODrive/Firmware# modprobe fuse
modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.0-19041-Microsoft

Yes correct, fuse is a Linux kernel module (“filesystem in userspace”), and WSL 1.x does not have a Linux kernel.
You could try with WSL 2.x, or better, native Linux. (raspberry pi works great, for example)

Else, copy the firmware image back to Windows and use a different DFU utility to flash it.

1 Like

tup (the build system) itself uses fuse during compilation to track dependencies. So your suggestions are accurate, but I think OP doesn’t have the firmware image yet.

Wow I didn’t know that tup itself uses fuse - I thought only DFUse required it. How does tup work on native Windows in that case?
Apparently you can use tup generate build.sh to create a build script, and then run that. This works around the need for fuse.

It just tracks file modified dates on Windows instead of using fuse lol