How to control two motors simultaneously

Hi,
I got ODrive v3.6, 56v and I also have power supply adjustable (48V, 10A, 480W); two hub motors (25.2V, dual 250W motor). I followed the ODrive user guide step by step. Control interface is Odrivetool on ubuntu 18.04.
I tried hard but only could control one motor at a time. When I run the command to control two motors as follows:
odrv0.axis0.requested_state= AXIS_STATE_CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL
odrv0.axis1.requested_state= AXIS_STATE_CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL
odrv0.axis0.controller.input_vel = 2
odrv0.axis1.controller.input_vel = 2
Only one of the motors axis0 responds. When checking the errors with dump_errors(odrv0), then:
axis0
axis: no error
motor: no error
sensorless_estimator: no error
encoder: no error
controller: no error
axis1
axis: Error(s):
UNKNOWN ERROR: 0x00000100
motor: no error
sensorless_estimator: no error
encoder: Error(s):
ENCODER_ERROR_ILLEGAL_HALL_STATE
controller: no error
However, when changing the command order, the axis0 stops responding .

I read some similar topics but not enough to solve my problem. Did I miss some steps in user guide?
How to change some parameters to make both motors running?
Please help me. Thank you.

Sounds like you may have some noise issues if you have odrivetool gremlins and illegal hall states. Try the ferrite rings from the shop, and try adding 22nF bypass capacitors to the index pins.

Hi, thank you for your reply, but when changing the command order like this:
odrv0.axis1.requested_state= AXIS_STATE_CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL
odrv0.axis0.requested_state= AXIS_STATE_CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL
odrv0.axis1.controller.input_vel = 2
odrv0.axis0.controller.input_vel = 2

This axis0 stops responding and axis1 has no error at all with encoder, so ENCODER_ERROR_ILLEGAL_HALL_STATE is not the right message.

Now I can only control one motor at a time with this ODrive v3.6, 56v board. I tried hard to read the documentation on this website and also searched information with Google engine and found no clue to solved the problem.
I really need some help. Thank you.

Yes, this is common if you have USB noise problems. As stated, try the ferrite rings at the shop, and make sure you’re using quality USB cables and are well grounded.

1 Like

OK, thank you for your kind help, I will follow your advice and try it.