Issues with ASCII Protocol - Cannot Connect to ODrive

I have been trying to connect to the ODrive using Putty or Tera Term by changing the ODrive Native Interface in Zadig to usbser like in the documentation.

I get a failed to connect notification each time I try. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

I have been able to connect to the ODrive and do everything using Anaconda, so I know that part is fine.

Please let me know what information I might need to provide to move forward.

Thanks,
wayneStock

Do you see a serial port in the device manager?

If yes, take 115200 8 n 1 for the connection.

Greetings / Zennix

Thanks for the response Zennix.

Yes, I have been able to see the ODrive in the device manager (comes in as COM11). I also have the connection set up as 115200 8 n 1.

Hi,
some programs have problems with ports upper 9. Try to assign a port below 10 to your odrive port in device manager.

Greetings Zennix

Zennix, I changed the port to COM2 and tried to reconnect. It still failed. I went ahead and put together a quick serial connection program using C++ and Qt to try to get a little more information on to why the connection failed.

I am getting an error string that says “The system cannot find the file specified”. From Qt documentation, it says that this error shows when trying to connect to a non existing device.

This is what shows in my device manager under com ports. So my computer recognizes the ODrive after I change the driver to usbser, but I cannot seem to connect to it.

Thoughts?

wayneStock

I’m fairly certain the ascii doc is out of date. Interface 2 is for the native protocol. Look through your “Communications Port” items for one with a vendor ID of 1209 (or just pay attention to which one appears/disappears when dis/connecting) and try that one.

metanoic is right. You should see something like that:
grafik

CDC Interface!

Greetings / Zennix

1 Like

Thank you both. I will check on this when I get home from work and let you know the results.

wayneStock

Thanks Zennix and meanoic. I got the sample terminal program to work. After connecting to the CDC interface, I was able to send the ODrive commands.

I also figured out that I was not including a line break command “\n” which is needed for each command.

Thanks again for the help.
wayneStock