Leveraging ODrive for High-Performance Autonomous Robot

Hello Everyone :sunglasses:,

I’m currently developing a custom robotics :robot: platform aimed at robust autonomous navigation and am exploring ODrive as a potential motor controller. The goal is to build a highly agile robot capable of handling diverse tasks in dynamic environments.

Project Overview:
The robot will incorporate a multi-sensor suite (LiDAR, cameras, ultrasonic) to perceive its surroundings and execute complex maneuvers. Precise motor control is paramount for seamless navigation and accurate positioning.

Motor Requirements:
I’m working with high-torque brushless DC motors demanding a controller that can deliver both power and precision for intricate movements.

Proposed Integration:
I envision integrating ODrive with a Raspberry Pi, where the latter handles intelligent decision-making and sensor data processing. ODrive would be the muscle, executing precise motor commands.

Seeking Expert Guidance:

To optimize this integration, I’m keen on leveraging the community’s expertise. Specifically, I’m interested in:

• ODrive Capabilities: Can ODrive handle high-torque loads and maintain performance under demanding conditions? :thinking:
  • Integration Best Practices: What are the recommended approaches for combining ODrive and Raspberry Pi? Are there critical considerations for communication, power, or interfacing?:thinking:
  • Software Recommendations: Are there specific software tools or libraries that can streamline ODrive integration and control?:thinking:
  • Common Pitfalls: What potential challenges might I encounter, and how can I proactively address them?:thinking:

I tried searching online for some inspiration like this type of resource: GitHub - Ly0n/awesome-robotic-tooling: Tooling for professional robotic development in C++ and Python with a touch of ROS, autonomous driving and aerospace. Cyber Security Career Paths , but it was a total dud. I’m hoping this community can point me in the right direction.

Your insights will be invaluable in guiding my project. Thank :pray: you for sharing your knowledge!

Hi! Great question.

• The ODrive is typically current-limited, so you’d have to determine if torque is adequate based on the ODrive’s current rating (see here).
  • ODrive + Raspberry Pi is a very common and straightforward setup. You can control over USB, however we strongly recommend using CAN.
  • Remember that your motors can only be as precise as your encoders are. Especially if you’re planning on using hall sensors, don’t expect any semblance of precision there. Other than that, make sure you have a plan to mount whatever encoder you’re planning to use.
  • Stay away from ODrive v3.6, it’s what a lot of people have used in the past but it’s strongly superseded by the ODrive Pro and S1.
  • The configuration GUI is really great for easy setup!

Maybe if you can say more about the motor you’re thinking of using, we can recommend an ODrive?