Minimum RPM: 15 deg/hr?

Noobie here. I’m considering an oDrove but need to be sure it can operate at extremely low RPM (eg. 15 degrees / hr). I need to drive a 3 phase 12 pole large BLDC (Fisher & Paykel Smartdrive) .
Any ideas if this is even possible given BLDC’s are usually high RPM?

With a high enough resolution encoder, maybe it will work. What is your application? If it is a telescope drive or something similar where you are trying to keep a star stationary on your camera, having encoder increments similar or smaller than the angular size of a star is useful (say 3 arcseconds or smaller). It is definitely possible as some off the shelf telescope mounts have direct drive BLDC motors with encoders controlled in a similar way to oDrive. Sensorless control wont work at this low of an RPM so some wort of position feedback will be needed.
Hope that helps

2 Likes

Thanks, good to know it’s possible. I’m using 18 bit absolute encoders interfaced with a RPi so can control the motors with that too for a closed loop. Time to place my order…

1 Like

The ODrive will need some form of encoder feedback and will control the motor in closed-loop. Have a look on the wiki to see what encoders are currently supported.

1 Like