Motor Efficiency Dyno - Odrive control queries

One question I do have is how rapidly can the torque command be updated?

I’m planning on programming a full vehicle simulation mode whereby the load on the test motor is varied to match that of the rear car (including inertia effects, and the load vs speed profile).

I can’t imagine I’ll need to update this faster than say 5Hz as eco-marathon vehicles run at very low accelerations to minimise losses.

In excess of 1kHz via USB, a little less via ASCII RS232, probably >1kHz via native RS232 or CAN :slight_smile:

Is that one of those Sensor Technology TorqSens transducers? I used one on a similar rig :slight_smile:
don’t break it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Sweet, should have no issues then (in theory :wink: ).

It is yeah. It’ll be treated like a new born child believe me.
Did you find anything from using/implementing it thats worth sharing?

Yeah, be careful about couplings, mounting and alignment. Any radial force due to mounting misalignment will be seen as a spurious torque reading.
That’s why we ended up using the expensive MDW double-disc couplings that I mentioned earlier. They can take quite a lot of misalignment and are extremely stiff, which we needed for our measurements (torque ripple & friction of a motor and gearbox)
Also, their software was pretty horrendous. Written in some kind of LabView/VB/ActiveX abomination. :puke:
But they do have an API, which for me was easier to use.
We also had some ground loop issues on the USB, which we solved worked around with a USB isolator.

The sensor itself is very nice though. Almost zero friction, completely non-contact “Surface Acoustic Wave” thing. I think it works by searching for the resonant frequency of the rotor element, which changes depending on load.

Don’t over-torque it though. I’d advise to fit fuses in line with your motor phases, at a current corresponding to a torque equal or below the sensor’s full-scale torque. IIRC the sensors can withstand no more than 3x their full-scale torque before they are permanently borked, and that applies if they are on or off.

1 Like