ODrive GUI - first release for testing

i tried odrivetool executed calibration without any error (many times before) (maybe we can ignore this problem)
i get one 1 more problem: after GUI connected to Odrive, i go to play around about 3-4 minutes, can use these command
odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 100000
odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 0
and then when i click go tab, nothing change, after that i come back to the start page. GUI not connect to odrive. And then i disconnected everything even power source, reconnect it, and use the GUI, it can connect to ordive however, after about 3-4 minutes. it disconnected again.

i think i need to come back to clone the repo instruction to fix the GUI connection

@vu_tran nothing wrong with the GUI (except perhaps for not making it clear that pos_setpoint is now a read-only value in the new firmware)
You need to use input_pos instead of pos_setpoint.

Hi Vu Tran,

towen may be on to something - is your ODrive running the default firmware or something else?

For the clone the repo question: we use git for version control and github to store our code. To “clone a repo” is to download the source code, from github (or elsewhere), using git. You can also download the source code from github as a zip file if you don’t have git installed.

If you go to this page: https://github.com/PAJohnson/odrive_gui/tree/master you should see a green button labeled “code.” You can download it as a zip file, or run this command:

git clone https://github.com/PAJohnson/odrive_gui.git in a terminal to get the source code.

After you have the source code, there is a file called odrive_server.py in the server folder. You can run that with python odrive_server.py to see what the output is. I recommend doing this without starting the GUI - the GUI also launches this file, and I believe the current version of the ODrive usb utilities only supports one connection at a time (If the GUI is running, odrive_server.py will never connect to your ODrive).

I think you are having connection issues with your ODrive, with your 3-4 minute disconnection problem. I think you would have the same issue with odrivetool as you do with the GUI - the GUI doesn’t really do anything special, it communicates with the ODrive the same way as odrivetool.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @PJohnson. Sorry, my English and technical knowledge are not good. But your reply is very specific and clear. i will follow your instruction and check the result.
@towen, I am using the default firmware.

1 Like

Very nice, started playing around with it on OSX today. UI comes up but does not connect to odrive. I also tried launching odrive_server.py from clone repository, but it also hangs at “looking for odrives”, even though odrive is there and I can connect using odrivetool. How can I best troubleshoot odrive.find_any()?

Up and running on OSX! Misunderstood the Python server part. With the Python server running, ODrive is reliably detected after few seconds and GUI fully functional. GUI is awesome!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for trying it out. Glad to hear that it works under OSX. Are you manually launching the Vue app and the server separately? I have no way to test the GUI on a Mac.

If you have the repo cloned and you are set up for development, you should be able to run npm run electron:serve to test the electron version and npm run electron:build to package it into an executable. I’ll add that info to the readme.

Yes, started Vue app and server separately. Also happy to confirm that npm run electron:serve and npm run electron:build both work as designed. App comes up and is functional. I also ended up with a working installer. Installation suceeded, executable installed connects successfully and is functional. Sole complaint so far: no ODrive icon yet configured for the executable app :wink:

I’m on a Win7 x64 machine and have installed the GUI prerequisites using ‘pip install flask’ etc. The GUI loads, but is not connecting to oDrive. My oDrive is flashed with RC-0.5.1.

Hi llrjt100,

I don’t have a windows 7 machine to test on. Here’s something you can try to verify that the server is working correctly: if you clone the repo, you can run odrive_server.py by itself by

python3 odrive_server.py

That should pop up some information about whether or not the server can find your ODrive. If it can, you should be able to go to 0.0.0.0:5000 in a browser and see a page saying “ODrive GUI Server”. If that works, also try 127.0.0.1:5000. The GUI uses the latter address by default - it is a little faster for some reason (I’m not a networking guru). If you can access both of those addresses from your browser and see the test page, the GUI should work.

If only the first address works, you can manually point the GUI towards 0.0.0.0:5000 entering it in the address box on the GUI start page.

From some googling, it seems like 127.0.0.1 might act funny on windows 7.

1 Like

@PJohnson Thanks - I cloned the repo and ran odrive_server directly and get:

When did you install the odrive python utilities? Upgrading them might fix this issue -

pip install --upgrade odrive

@PJohnson Thanks! That did the trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you use the GUI on ubuntu? I do not quite follow the steps. Is there another thread that I could follow instructions on?

I clone the repository, I have ran the odrive_server.py and typed in the web address. I see the words ODrive GUI server, but no options to control the ODrive device.

I appreciate any input!

Hi Walleag,

There’s a thread for more recent versions of the GUI here: ODrive GUI Beta Release, I will edit the first post of this thread to indicate that.

On Ubuntu, you can go to the link in the thread and download the ODriveGUI.AppImage file. Since you already have the python dependencies installed, you should be able to double click on the AppImage file to run it.

1 Like

hello guys. This is what I get when running the gui exeCapture

Any idea what this could be ?

Hi Vez,

Please see this thread: ODrive GUI Beta Release. Make sure that you have installed all of the python dependencies and that python is on your Windows PATH somewhere.

1 Like

Can someone please post simple instructions of how to download and use the GUI? I am using Ubuntu

hello ! comment tu as fais telecharger l’interface s’il vous plait !

Hello, i try to run the odrive_server.py on windows 10 with anaconda

What i am missing here ?

odrive_server problem