Odrive installed with pip seems to be different than published version in git

I was working on automating the backup and restore configs for a series of odrive boards based on serial number. I was referencing the source for odrivetool to see how backup_config and restore_config were being done and figuring out what I could leverage from there. After I wrote my script and tried executing it with my version of odrive installed through pip so I could ensure it would work on other computers, and I started getting “ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘odrive.configuration’”.

This prompted me to look into my local odrive installation in C:\Program Files\Python311. It looks like the version of odrivetool that gets put in C:\Program Files\Python311\Scripts and the version of odrive that is put in C:\Program Files\Python311\Lib\site-packages\odrive are different than anything I can find searching through the git repo. The version that is downloaded with pip is referencing legacy_config.py instead of configuration.py to do the backup and restore through odrivetool (among other differences in the actual source of odrivetool.py).

Another interesting piece of this is that if I do odrivetool --version it returns “ODrive control utility v0.6.8” which doesn’t seem correct.

Is there a reason these two versions of Odrive are so much out of sync, and is there a way to see what version is actually getting sourced through pip?

Hi there! The ODrivetool in the git repo is older, the sources for the current one aren’t publicly available at the moment. If you need to access them, let me know and I’ll see if we can make that happen!

Ah that makes sense, No need to send the new source. I got what I needed from the files downloaded with pip. I was mostly just trying to figure out what I was missing between the two versions. Thanks for the clarification!