Odrive smoked fried danger

In my testing I unplugged power to my ODrive 3.6 and then plugged back in again (motor was in clossed loop) the mosfets started smoking, and the motor wires got super hot, might possibly have melted if I hadn’t yanked power again.

super dangerous. what might have cuased this?

my thought was that the 24V power supply didn’t fully power down (capacitors) before I plugged it back in. and then the mosfets went into a fault mode feedback loop and overheated? anyone else have something like this happen?

Same problem here except my mosfets melted, I was trying to control the board via ETH to UART, USB was working fine but this kinda killed the board good and proper

1 Like

This is a major problem. and a serious safety issue. I was planning to use this board in a permanent installation… granted in my testing setup I didn’t have any fuses on my power lines like I would in a permanent installation… but what if the building experiences a brown out?

guess there is a reason Mosfets are nicknamed: “Magically Obliterated, Smoke and Fire Emitting Transistor

I am guessing that the reason mine smoked is because of the dip in power, the board didn’t fully shut off, before I plugged power back in. The motor was engaged in Closed Loop, but it wasn’t moving. and maybe some current leaked back from the motor into the mosfet? Wondering if adding fuses would have even prevented this? The motor leads were very hot… so I am guessing it was drawing a LOT more current than normal, and a fuse on the power line would have helped

But I am also reading that blowing a fuses can also cause a spike in voltage and that can cause the Mosfet to go into avalanche failure. Is there a voltage spike supression circuit built into the board across the Mosfet I wonder? The real problem is that is hard to know exactly what caused the problem (since the chip is fried)

I suppose another option would be to add a physical switch, so that rather than unplugging the power supply, to throw the switch first to fully disconnect power to the board, before unplugging. But again this could also potentially cause a voltage spike…?

@madcowswe or @Wetmelon do you have any insight into this issue?