Only one channel reliably working?

From what I can tell there is no mention of it in the documentation, but while in the odrivetool simply type:

dump_errors(odrv0, False)

to see if there are any errors and see the human readable #defines for them. To clear the errors you can run:

dump_errors(odrv0, True)

Awesome, thanks guys. This gives me a few things to test out, I’ll report back later this week when I get a chance to troubleshoot a bit more. You’ve all been very helpful!

2 Likes

So, I’m back at this project (had another thing I needed to finish up last weekend). I tried using the dump_errors command and got this:

axis: Error(s):
ERROR_MOTOR_FAILED
motor: Error(s):
ERROR_CURRENT_UNSTABLE

Everything else looks good. And this is only on axis1. Trying to re-create it on the other axis.

Huh. I found the issue, but I’m not sure WHAT the issue really is, and I’m embarassed to admit it, but if this helps someone else, here it goes… After seeing the above error, I did a bit of looking and it seems like the error happens with poor wiring. So I labeled all my wires and motors, created a spreadsheet. I just randomly swapped wires, motors, where they plug in, etc. I found that one of the ‘power’ cables would always follow the failure. The cable measures fine, looks fine, and shows very little (but measurable) resistance and no shorting with other wires. The issue didn’t follow the motor, so it’s not the mating connector.

So, I made a new wire, and both motors work, at the same time. This is really strange since the motor cables were a long power cord that I cut in half, and just re-terminated the ends. They are the same cable, same length, and I know my way around wiring and soldering. Very strange. Also, pretty embarrassing considering my other projects! But it seems to be working.

1 Like