Reading Variables in controller.cpp file

I purchased an ODrive v3.6 56V in August for my research work and the controller works great for my project.

However, I wanted to make some changes in the control loop (PID) in position control mode and went through the firmware code available in Github. I was able to amend the controller.cpp file with my desired control loop and able to flash the customized firmware to the ODrive. It works without any physical errors. But I need to see assigned values of some variables inside the code (i.e. vel_des, pos_err) at given instances from my python script (like odrv0.axis1.controller.<variable_need_to_read>). I tried many methods, but unfortunately none of the methods worked. This may be because I’m from a mechanical engineering background and I don’t have that much knowledge on software coding.

Can someone please guide me how to read some variables in the controller.cpp file through my python script ?
(@madcowswe, @Wetmelon, @towen)
Thanks

I think you need to register your new variables in the odrive_interface.yaml file. :slight_smile:

I tried that method @towen. But still I can’t call the variable from my python script :grimacing:

Btw, I defined two new variables (pos_setpoint_p_ and vel_desired_) in the controller.cpp file and reflected in the controller.hpp file.

You need to compile and flash the firmware again after modifying that file… but that should be enough for it to show up

Yes, I was doing so. :grin: But didn’t work.

I found the mistake btw. I was flashing a different hex file all the time. :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

Thanks a lot @towen for your kind support

3 Likes