Solo & Odrive compared?

Hi all,

Just wondering about pros & cons of each system, seem more similar than different, apart from Odrive being dual motor, are there benefits of one over the other in certain use cases?

Thanks

What’s a Solo? Is it some other product or are you talking about ODrive v4?

Hi, this one:

It is very similar in terms of hardware. Same DRV8301 gate drive (and therefore same voltage limit, same 2-shunt configuration, same fundamental velocity limit - which is, as I have learned, down to the 2-shunt configuration) similar FETs (so similar, perhaps slightly lower current limit). Looks like a bit less on-board capacitance, so maybe more susceptible to noise…
The biggest difference in hardware is that it uses a TMS320 DSP chip instead of an STM32. That means the software is going to be very different. No idea if it supports absolute encoders or not.
It looks as if CAN is supported, but there’s no CAN transceiver, so you’d need a separate chip to use it on CAN bus.

As for software, it looks like it is NOT open source, so that’s a huge downside compared to ODrive, in my view. There is not even an open source compiler for the TMS320…

The ROS, Matlab and LabView interfaces could be useful to some people, but I think it should be easy for any half-decent programmer to connect ODrive to those ecosystems, thanks to it being open source.

2 Likes

Hi Tom & thanks for the clear explanation as always.
BTW I found a hoverboard for $30 (no charger, but not a problem); ordering my Odrive shortly :slight_smile: