SOLVED encoder not working

So one more thing that I didn’t do until now was to take a look at the Odrive schematic. It looks like it already has the pull-up resistors that would be necessary for an open collector type of encoder output. Do you have a multimeter available? If so, are you able to measure 3.3V on the A and the B pins on the Odrive with the encoder disconnected?

Which power pin do you have the encoders hooked up to? 5V or VCC? VCC is only 3.3V on the Odrive which may not be enough to power your encoders. If you are currently connected to VCC, on just one of your encoders it might be worthwhile to try switching to using the 5V power pin instead to see if that fixes your problems.

I need to correct myself. Though the encoder inputs on the STM32 are 5V tolerant, that is not what you will measure on pins A and B with the encoder disconnected as I incorrectly stated above. I have corrected my statement to say that you should measure 3.3V on A and B with the encoder disconnected. My point still stands that you may have to power your encoders with 5V rather than 3.3V in order to get them to read correctly. This is based off of the following statement in the encoder product page:

Working voltage :5-24V

Have you tried that yet?

Hi,

Yes I have and it doesn’t work, I’ve measured the resistance between A en 5V and it ±10K (also for B), I don’t know what to do now

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi

I may have just found the problem, the seller put in the discription the wrong color coding, now I have 3 broken encoders. I will test another one today.

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

The ODrive inputs for ABZ are 5v-tolerant, and expect you to be using open-collector (NPN) drivers on the encoder. There are pull-up resistors to either the 3.3v or 5v rail.

Hi

It worked! My encoder work!

Thanks you all!

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

@Wetmelon your response makes sense. The only part that I don’t understand is how you would go about changing whether the pull up resistors are hooked up to the 5V or 3.3V rails. The schematics don’t seem to indicate how that would be accomplished.

@Stijn_Carelsbergh glad to hear you solved your problem. What ended up being the root of your problem?

Hi

The seller listed the wrong color coding and it was a weird color coding, red was nog vcc haha

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn