the motor doesn't work with my 48v odrive

Hello,

I just acquired an odrive 48v, I would like to have the help of the Odrive community.

I have :

• 1 Odrive 48V with a firmware update v0.4.12.
  • 2 brushless motors 5849203-04-k 1998 -1E60007-18vdc.
  • 2 batteries 18v Li-ION 5.0Ah in series that is to say 36 volts
  • I don’t have a CPR 8192 encoder

My problem is this:

Test_1
When I execute the command odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE, the motor emits noise following the pulse and there is no motor rotation during calibration.
Then with the command odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 10000, the motor does not react and there is no motor rotation.

Test_2
When I test another Burshless motor (electric screwdriver), during the calibration phase of the motor.
The motor makes a noise then a pulse and turns very slowly in one direction only.
After executing the command odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 10000 .
The motor does not react at all and does not rotate.

1. I would like to know if it is possible not to use an encoder (e.g. CPR 8192 ) even if this is part of the Hardware Requirements.

2. I would like to know the maximum amperage to power the ODRIVE 48V.

3. Which mains power supply or Li-ion battery is recommended to power the ODRIVE 48V.

4. Can we use 2 18v Li-ION 5.0Ah batteries in series or 36 volts on the Odrive to power a brushless motor 5849203-04-k 1998 -1E60007-18vdc.

5. The brushless motor 5849203-04-k 1998 -1E60007-18vdc has an encoder, but the colors do not match the Odrive encoders, .
    The 3 motor coils are yellow, white and blue.
    The colors of the encoder are purple, gray, green, black and red.
    I would like to be able to connect the brushless motor encoder 5849203-04-k 1998 -1E60007-18vdc to the Odrive M0.

Thank you for your help.

You say you ‘just acquired’ a 48V ODrive?
The 48V version hasn’t been available from the official shop for about 2 years. Did you mean to say the 56V version?
If you really have just bought a 48V one, then you must have bought a clone version of the V3.4 board, which are widely on sale on Alibaba etc. by people not affiliated with ODrive. There is no way to guarantee the quality of these clones, the money doesn’t support ODrive development, and obviously you shouldn’t expect much support from these forums…

Nevertheless, I’ll try to help as best I can:

That sounds as if motor calibration failed. Check the output of dump_errors(odrv0, True) and see if you have PHASE_RESISTANCE_OUT_OF_RANGE or similar. If there is such an error, then the drive will not enter position control.

Again, if you check dump_errors, you will probably find ERROR_CPR_POLEPAIRS_MISMATCH i.e. you have not configured the correct pole pairs for your electric screwdriver, or you have the wrong encoder counts/rev.

There is a ‘sensorless’ mode (RTFM), but ODrive is meant as a servo controller with encoder feedback. There are fundamental reasons why an encoder is recommended.

This depends on the maximum power needed. If you wish to drive a motor at 500W for example, then you will need about 12A at maximum speed & torque, with a 48V supply.

3: Any power supply with voltage output anywhere between 20-48V should be sufficient, provided it has low noise and low ripple (e.g. any battery)

4: Yes. Even if the battery is higher voltage than the motor’s rated voltage, this will work, because the ODrive acts as the regulator. Ensure you do not set the motor.config.vel_limit higher than the motor’s maximum mechanical speed (in encoder counts/sec) or else you could ruin the bearings due to overspeed.

5: I have no idea. I’d hazard a guess that this is a Hall sensor, not an encoder as such…

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help and support despite the version of my Odrive card.

Your explanations have been a great help and it made me evolve on the following solution:

Today I placed the order for two odrive 24 and 56 v with two sets of motors and their encoders.

I don’t know if someone can give me the delivery time of an order made on the Odrive EU website.

While waiting for the reception of my equipment I will continue to carry out tests with the version I have.

The version of my Odrive card is 3.5.

I would like to know if someone would be kind enough to help me on the different errors in the logs.

Motor Brushless 5849203-04k

In [3]: odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE

In [4]: odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 10000

In [5]: dump_errors(odrv0)
axis0
axis: Error(s):
ERROR_MOTOR_FAILED
motor: Error(s):
ERROR_PHASE_RESISTANCE_OUT_OF_RANGE
encoder: no error
controller: no error
axis1
axis: no error
motor: no error

Moteur electric screwdriver

In [3]: odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE

In [4]: odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 10000

In [5]: dump_errors(odrv0)
axis0
ERROR_MOTOR_FAILED
motor: Error(s):
ERROR_PHASE_RESISTANCE_OUT_OF_RANGE
axis1

Thanks you

What motor are you using ODrive with? Is it a high resistance motor?

electric screwdriver

This is the correct log

In [7]: odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE

In [8]: odrv0.axis0.controller.pos_setpoint = 10000

In [9]: dump_errors(odrv0)
axis0
ERROR_ENCODER_FAILED
encoder: Error(s):
ERROR_NO_RESPONSE
axis1

In [10]: dump_errors(odrv0, True)
axis0
ERROR_ENCODER_FAILED
encoder: Error(s):
ERROR_NO_RESPONSE
axis1

In [11]:

is it possible to correct the problem below and how to fix it

‘’ PHASE_RESISTANCE_OUT_OF_RANGE or similar. If there is such an error, the inverter will not enter position control. ‘’

for the electric screwdriver i think it’s an encoder problem, i could do the test when i get my odrive order.

Thank you

I use the odrive with the engine

brushless 5849203-04-k 1998 -1E60007-18vdc.

And also another motor of the electric screwdriver, I will give you the reference tomorrow.

Thank you

Hi Christophe,

I haven’t been able to find the motors you’ve mentioned online. I’d like to look at the specifications to see how well they will work with ODrive. You’ve mentioned that it’s an electric screwdriver (much smaller than a typical motor like the D5065) - in that case, it is possible that the phase resistance is higher than what is “typical” for a motor used with ODrive.

If that is the case, you can change the motor calibration values to use a lower test current and higher test voltage. See this page for details: https://docs.odriverobotics.com/troubleshooting#common-motor-errors

Hello,
thank you for your help.

I will follow your recommendation tomorrow.
The brushless motors 5849203-04-k 1998 -1E60007-18vdc is one of the motors of my gardena mower.

See the link below

https://www.boerger-motorgeraete.eu/Automatische-Rasenmaeher-Automower/Gardena-Maehroboter-Zubehoer---Ersatzteile/Gardena-Maehroboter-Ersatzteile-SILENO--SILENO--/Raeder-Reifen-SELINO/Gardena-Maehroboter-SILENO--SILINO--Radmotor---587-44-94-03.html

Thank you

I thank the community for your help.

I received my equipment from the Odrive website and since the calibration is working.
The 48v component was defective.

Sincerely Christophe Ruiz

1 Like