Unable to set encoder to hall effect

I’m trying to get my odrive to control a hoverboard motor. I’m following the guide here (https://github.com/madcowswe/ODrive/blob/devel/docs/hoverboard.md)

All is fine until I get to this line

odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.mode = ENCODER_MODE_HALL

I get an errors “NameError: name ‘ENCODER_MODE_HALL’ is not defined”

Is there a config mode number I could use instead? Anyway around this issue for the moment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to switch to devel firmware and odrive_tool repos

Ah, you’re absolutely right. I didn’t notice that the hoverboard doc was in the devel branch. Now it’s all starting to make sense

Thanks

hey James I’m having the same problem and I’m trying to have my ODrive power hoverboard motors too, what did you do to switch to the devel firmware? Or I guess, what does it mean to be in the devel branch?

In development, possibly not stable (that is it might have unknown bugs, not yet ready for reliable everyday use)

Hi,
Today we recently released a new version of the firmware, and with that comes support for hall effect feedback, hoverboard motors, and pwm input: they were not officially supported before.
You can check the hoverboard guide in the documentation.
You will need to upgrade your firmware to fw-v0.4.2, instructions here.

So i have upgraded firmware to .0.4.2 i run through the setup discussed “hoverboard guide” however i can not execute command " ```
odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.mode = ENCODER_MODE_HALL it chucks following error…

In [2]: odrvO.axis0.encoder.config.mode=ENCODER_MODE_HALL

NameError Traceback (most recent call last)
/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fibre/shell.py in ()
----> 1 odrvO.axis0.encoder.config.mode=ENCODER_MODE_HALL

NameError: name ‘ENCODER_MODE_HALL’ is not defined

any clues ?

Yes you also need to upgrade odrivetool. Try this command pip install odrive --upgrade --no-cache-dir

I am having the same issue. I am have updated to version 4.2 of the firmware and I have tried upgrading Odrivetool. I am running a current version of Anaconda (per the getting started guide). Odrivetool is at version 0.4.1. Am I not on the current version of Odrivetool?

odrivetool version should match the firmware version - they are released concurrently. In particular, odrivetool 4.1 doesn’t know what the numeric value of ENCODER_MODE_HALL is, but 4.2 will.

I have tried to update Odrivetool with the command mentioned above. It continues to install version 4.1. Suggestions?

I’m having the same problem as well, I tested on my regular pc as well as one with a fresh install of Win 7. still getting 4.1

Best I can suggest is uninstall/reinstall odrivetool and see what happens. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

I have had the same problem too. My odrivetool is only v4.1 even though I only installed in on a fresh windows a couple of days ago.

The version on pypi seems to still be 4.1

My workaround has been to run the following which seems to work.
odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.mode = 1

Good workaround @Martin_Conway. Indeed, that is the value that the ENCODER_MODE_HALL enum corresponds to.

Also, if you download and extract the source code from github, you can run odrivetool from the tools folder and it seems to give you the up to date version. I haven’t tested if this creates any other problems. Previous having pip installed odrive should have sorted the dependencies.

https://github.com/madcowswe/ODrive/archive/master.zip

That’s what I do routinely, Martin, and so far so good. Haven’t run into any problems to speak of and I don’t think you will either.

My sincere apologies, @Martin_Conway is absolutely right, I forgot to update the PyPi with the latest version when making the release. I have now updated it.
This command should now upgrade odrivetool to v0.4.2: pip install odrive --upgrade --no-cache-dir