3 months and no progress with Odrive V3.6 for Quadruped

I bought a used Odrive V3.6 off Ebay in october and have been wrestling with it sense. I am using a 4S 1300mAh nano techn 90C lip battery, a 50W 6RJ 6ohm brakeresistor, a Propdrive V2 3536 910KV BLDC motor, and an AMT 102 incremental encoder. Here are the settings that I have created using the setup guide through the ODrive documents, forum posts, and various youtube videos. Anything after a % sign is a comment

odrive setup and calibration test sequence
odrivetool
test that odrive is connected by asking for voltage
odrv0.vbus_voltage
then configure the power supply, if using lithium polymer battery
%Voltage Limits
bat_n_cells = 4
odrv0.config.dc_bus_undervoltage_trip_level = 3.3 * bat_n_cells
odrv0.config.dc_bus_overvoltage_trip_level = 4.25 * bat_n_cells
*%Current limits formula for maximum safe discharge capacity of the Lipo is capacity (mAh/1000) *
*%(CValue)
odrv0.config.dc_max_positive_current = 100
%Max charging current I am not sure about, but I know that 1 amp is safe
odrv0.config.dc_max_negative_current = -1
set Brake resistor value
odrv0.config.brake_resistance=6
Set Motor Configuration
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.pole_pairs=7
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.motor_type=MOTOR_TYPE_HIGH_CURRENT
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.torque_constant=8.27/KV
Configure the System for calibration
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.calibration_current=7
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.calibration_lockin.current=10
%used for encoder calibration. If not working raise this current value too? should start at half of the continuous current
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.resistance_calib_max_voltage=4
%default is usually fine, but for higher resistance motors you may need to increase this to pass the motor calibration. Max vale allowed is half of the bus voltage (configure the voltage when the motor is calibrated) (raising this means we need to raise the current sense gain to 25 since it was originally at 60, according to a youtube video)
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.requested_current_range =25
% apparently IF MOTORS HIGH INDUCTANCE reduce this value:
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.current_control_bandwidth = 100
%In general, you need text resistance_calib_max_voltage > calibration_current * phase_resistance resistance_calib_max_voltage < 0.5 * vbus_voltage
Setting the limits for calibration
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.calibration_current=7
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.current_lim=15 (configure the maximum current limit for motor operation)
odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_MOTOR_CALIBRATION
odrv0.save_configuration()
Configure the Encoder Parameters with index
odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.cpr = 8192 (configure encoder resolution for AMT 102)
odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.mode=ENCODER_MODE_INCREMENTAL
odrv0.config.gpio7_mode =GpioMode.DIGITAL
odrv0.save_configuration()

Below is the output from dump errors

In [2]: dump_errors(odrv0)
system: no error
axis0
  axis: no error
  motor: no error
  DRV fault: none
  sensorless_estimator: no error
  encoder: no error
  controller: no error
axis1

In [28]: odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_MOTOR_CALIBRATION

In [29]: odrv0.axis0.motor.error
Out[29]: 34359738368

In [45]: odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_MOTOR_CALIBRATION

In [46]: dump_errors(odrv0)
system: no error
axis0
  motor: Error(s):
    MotorError.PHASE_INDUCTANCE_OUT_OF_RANGE
    MotorError.CURRENT_SENSE_SATURATION
    MotorError.UNKNOWN_CURRENT_MEASUREMENT
    MotorError.UNBALANCED_PHASES
axis1

In [49]: odrv0.axis0.error
Out[49]: 0

In [50]: odrv0.axis0.motor.config.phase_inductance
Out[50]: inf

Whenever I run odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_MOTOR_CALIBRATION all it does is make the motor have a barely noticeable high pitched hum, upon hand rotation provides resistance from rotation for about 3-5 seconds. Eventually I increased the calibration current to 15 and smoked my freaking motor like a moron.

MotorError.UNBALANCED_PHASES
I tried to correct for this initially by increasing the wire gauge and decreasing the length. I also removed all connectors that were between my motor and the terminals on the Odrive so now it is just one solid wire. I also took a multimeter and measured the resistance across all phases and got a consistent (but imprecise) reading of 0.3Ohms.

MotorError.PHASE_INDUCTANCE_OUT_OF_RANGE
I input odrv0.axis0.motor.config.phase_inductance and it told me that the value was inf. So I am insure why it would claim the value is inf when according to the multimeter the motor has a very clear and defined resistance and hence inductance.

In [50]: odrv0.axis0.motor.config.phase_inductance
Out[50]: inf

MotorError.CURRENT_SENSE_SATURATION
I read the documentation for this which indicated that this can be tripped if the Current_lim is set higher than the requested_current_range, so I checked the values and confirmed that was untrue.

In [51]: odrv0.axis0.motor.config.current_lim
Out[51]: 2.5

In [52]: odrv0.axis0.motor.config.requested_current_range
Out[52]: 25.0

MotorError.UNKOWN_CURRENT_MEASUREMENT
Not sure there is anything I can do to get you more info as it seems the controller needed to take a measurement and couldn’t.

At this point I am at a complete loss, and could really use some help.

Hi! Could you provide detailed photos of your odrive 3.6 setup?

Of course. Here you go.

Did you try both axes of the ODrive?
Did you make sure the motor wiring is correct?

Hi again! Well “I also took a multimeter and measured the resistance across all phases and got a consistent (but imprecise) reading of 0.3Ohms” it looks like your multimeter doesn’t precise enough to measure real values of the motor coils. It looks like that something broken. ODrive or motor itself.

You could follow next steps to try to solve your problem:

1. Buy a cheap ESC motor controller to ensure that your motor properly works
  2. If motor works connect the motor to second ODrive channel (AXIS 1) and try to use your script again. If not - buy a new motor)
  3. If motor still not working and odrive shows the same errors, something wrong with ODrive board, it seems like it’s broken, buy new ODrive.

“Eventually I increased the calibration current to 15 and smoked my freaking motor like a moron.” It’s strange because your motor could take up to 38A in peak

I practically give up on projects with odrive because here almost nobody answers when it takes time and we still have to expose the project to everyone! I think support leaves a lot to be desired complex documentation!

So what did you select instead of ODrive? What kind of controller? Is the support of this controller better?

Look into SimpleFOC. This is an open source software project that is very active with a big user base there is some hardware around it too.

What people are finding is that yoreally have to custom design driver boards. This used to be a show stopping but now days plces like JLCPCB will make high qulaity PCBs for 40 cents and offer to solder the MOSFETs on for the cost of the parts. Many peoplehave put their hardware designs in github.

It’s not an alternative. ODrive is finished hardware / software solution)

Hmm, your config looks OK and you’ve worked through the troubleshooting steps. Might be a problem with the board unfortunately.