Avoiding FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE

Hello everyone,

I’m new to using the ODrive motor controller, so please let me kow, if you’re in need of additional information for answering my question.

It appears that I am forced to run the AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE before I’m allowed to enter the state AXIS_STATE_CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL, due to the Encoder.in_ready flag set during the calibration (as mentioned in this topic).

What I want to do, is to be able to use velocity control on a set of wheels for a differential drive robot, using my ODrive v3.5, and without having to execute the calibration sequence every time after booting the robot.
How is this possible? And is it possible using ODrive?

From the topic mentioned before, then you apparently need wheels with absolute encoders (as opposed to the incremental encoders which my current wheels have integrated now), but before I go and purchase new ones, I wanted to make sure that it could be done through ODrive.

My current wheels are the following:
http://zlrobotmotor.com/info/384.html

You need either an absolute encoder or an encoder with an index pin. I can’t tell from that page if your motor has a “Z” pin. If it does, you only have to run the index search once at reboot instead of doing the full calibration