Controller suddenly not appearing on Linux USB

Hi, I’ve been experimenting with my ODrive (v3.6 56V using shipped firmware - can’t say exactly which version because I can’t access the controller) and seemed to finally have it working in sensorless mode. I started to notice the controller connection falling occasionally - mostly during ramp up but not always - and I had to disconnect the power supply and reconnect to get it to show up again on my Linux machine.

Now it’s not appearing at all. I tried resetting the computer, reconnecting the USB cable, resetting the controller’s power - nothing. lsusb does not show the controller connected.

Not sure where to go from here. I would send the configuration file if I had it saved, but now I can’t even access it.

Would appreciate support on this topic. Thanks!

Would appreciate support on this issue.

Have you tried powering up the board in ‘DFU’ mode?
What is the output of sudo dmesg -w when you connect it?

Thanks for the reply. Booting in DFU mode did not seem to have an effect. Due to the forum’s character limit I can’t post the entire output but here’s the last bit with the USB device - let me know if there’s another part that’s relevant.:

[  463.994970] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[  464.144192] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0483, idProduct=df11, bcdDevice=22.00
[  464.144198] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  464.144201] usb 2-2: Product: STM32  BOOTLOADER
[  464.144204] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: STMicroelectronics
[  464.144207] usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 316C336A3030

Interesting, so the chip works at least. It’s possible that it erased its own flash due to a power surge (it’s a rare problem that sometimes seems to happen a lot, and then happens never and can’t be reproduced, but I did once seem to be able to reproduce it by powering the board with 50V from a bench supply, but then the problem stopped occuring and I have never seen it since)

So you could try reflashing the board with odrivetool dfu at this point, but beware that flashing outside of RUN mode will erase your config.

Out of curiosity, what do you see in dmesg in RUN mode?

1 Like

Have you read about Ground Loops, and made sure that you don’t have them?
I faced similar disconnection issues with the ODrive when it was drawing current, and it got resolved completely after making solid ground plane connections to the chassis of my robot. A USB isolator did not work for me but it did work for some people. Search “ground loops” in these forums and you will find a few helpful threads.