Decision on Odrive model for force feedback wheel

Hi!
I’m trying to decide what model of the odrive to choose. I’m going to try to build a direct drive force feedback wheel (steering) for use in e-sports sim racing. The latest and greatest in this area are direct drive, i.e a wheel mounted directly on a powerful motor. The most successful implementations are using huge AC servo motors with torques up to 30 Nm peak. However, noone seems to utilize the full potential and turn them down to about 10-40%. These implementations are using torque mode for controlling the wheels, and high resolution encoders to read the angles,

My plan is to try hoverboard hub motors, and try to squeeze as much torque out of them as possible. Oskar’s reports of up to 12 Nm look promising indeed.

The forces I will apply (per the FFB protocol) will need to be applied fast. Think going over curbs in 250 Kph. That will cause high frequency rumble. The more springy forces are slower and more static (wheel centering spring forces).

The question I am debating is what voltage I should runt the motor at. According to specs these motors look like they are around 12 Kv. At 24V they should spin at 288 rpm. Now, the wheel should not spin that fast ever, but the rumble forces (sawtooth, square wave etc) will have high frequency that might relate to speed, which may relate to voltage. I am not sure. Is the torque more related to amperage in this situation?

Need some advice here I’m afraid.

I think you’re over complicating things at this level.
The physical differences between the 24 and 48v versions all relate to maximum voltage ratings of the parts. There is absolutely no downside to buying the 48v version and running it at 24.

The downside is price, and the disturbing fact that the 56V version is out of stock. That made me think if the 56V is actually needed.

It actually boils down to if I get the speed and torque out of the 24V as I need, or if I get better torque and speed (reaction speed) from 36V as it is rated. I guess the motor has a fair bit of inertia even though I will remove the rubber of course.

Hi, did you get anywhere with this? I am looking at doing something similar with Segway ES2 hub motors (was planning on pairing two) and am trying to figure out if it’s been done successfully before throwing money at controllers that I could just be saving for am off-the-shelf setup@

At the moment the project is at pause, but about to restart soon. I went for a simpler multistar 9235-100 motor to use during development and then decide if to go for a beefier motor setup later. At the moment I have just created a DIY PCB for a TLE 5012B magnetic sensor that I will solder and then make a hardware mount for to the motor and wheel. With that done, I will then hook up the odrive (24V version) to my Teensy and proceed with software. That is about the status right now.

If the multistar engine proofs to weak (as I would guess) I have a hoverboard in the garage to test with those motors instead.

So, a bit to go before any progress is made.