Error on encoder calibration

Hello,

I noticed that my motor stopped turning after working with it for a while, so I connected the ODrive S1 connected to the motor to the odrivetool and started with

odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AxisState.MOTOR_CALIBRATION

It worked, so I continued with

odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AxisState.ENCODER_OFFSET_CALIBRATION

but I got the error ProcedureResult.POLE_PAIR_CPR_MISMATCH. I also noticed that I couldn’t turn the motor by hand, but I think I remember being able to do it before. Should I be able to turn the motor by hand? If so, what should I do to be able to turn it once again without breaking it somehow?

Anyway, I removed the encoder then put it back to see if anything would change. When doing an encoder calibration again, I see the motor is trying to turn, but is not able to do so completely because there is some kind of resistance. The ODrive S1 LED ends up turning red and odrivetool gives me the following:

active_errors: Error(s):
ODriveError.BRAKE_RESISTOR_DISARMED
disarm_reason: Error(s):
ODriveError.DC_BUS_UNDER_VOLTAGE
procedure_result: ProcedureResult.DISARMED
last_drv_fault: none
internal issues: none

Maybe the fact that I can’t turn the motor by hand means that something is stuck physically which is why the encoder calibration is not working?

Yes - definitely could be a mechanical issue. What motor do you have, and could you post some images? The motor needs to be able to freely turn by hand during calibration.

The motor is a Dual shaft motor D5065 270 kV. Here is a video of the result of doing

odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AxisState.ENCODER_OFFSET_CALIBRATION

in odrivetool: https://youtube.com/shorts/qO0cQxEPr5U?feature=share

Yeah, definitely looks like there’s something wrong with that motor. Do you have another one to test with? Does it look like something got inside the motor that’s jamming it?

No, I don’t have another one unfortunately. I looked inside too, but everything seems fine, nothing got inside. I think I’ll have to use a spare stepper motor instead. But to confirm, the current one can’t be fixed right?

Hmm. I mean, there could be a straightforward to fix issue. I’d disassemble the motor from the mount and disconnect from the S1 and see if it’s still hard to turn – is the rotor 100% locked or just high resistance?

Yes, I got the motor out of the mount and even then, I was not able to turn it. The rotor is 100% locked, I can’t move it at all by force.

That’s not great! What was your original order number? We can send a replacement.

I don’t have the original order number. It was ordered by someone else over a year ago. And I don’t think the replacement could arrive in time anyway for my deadline next week, but thanks for your help!