Firmware for absolute encoder - what is the likely release?

Hi

The ODrive Encoder Guide mentions that the firmware for absolute encoders will be released soon. Is there a target date or is it already included in the released version?

What will the interface type? A,B,I or just A & B? I am not too familiar with the encoders but have noticed both interface styles.

Thanks,

Anil

Absolute encoders use digital interfaces, the SPI is used for the 5048

Hi Roiki1,

I looked at both AS5047 and 5048. 5048 supports SPI and PWM interfaces. 5047 supports SPI, PWM, UVW and ABI interfaces. Has the decision been made re which encoders will be supported by the ODrive firmware; and if yes, which interface/s will be supported?

Also, will there be a reference design tor hardware including the magnets for these encoders?

Anil

Hello Roiki and Anisawe,
I am very much interested in having an absolute position sensor (to eliminate the startup indexing). I am very good at CAD but coding is a bit tough for me. I can definely design a case and magnet holder but will need some support on the coding side of things. So, if anyone has the code portion, I can make the housing (3d printable file).

Thanks,
Patrick

The code is done. It works already on Wetmelon/RazorsEdge and you can try it if you can compile the firmware. I have tested it and it works really well with AMS AS5x47 encoders.
It will be merged to the main firmware in a few weeks i think.

Thank you for the confirmation of the code. I will be buying a Dev board for a chip. Thanks!

Is there an update on the absolute encoder implementation? I’m thinking about getting the AMT232B. seems like it is a good replacement for the AMT102-V incremental encoder I have. I think I saw in another thread that this encoder is now supported? is that true?

Any update on this? Cheers

Why isn’t any one from odrive replying? Not a super hard question, is there a firmware branch already supporting this?

@superjay as I understand it, ODrive Robotics is mainly run by one person as a side project, and then there are a bunch of people that contribute here and there either with their own forked branches they are developing or by answering questions here and there on the forum. There is no dedicated 9-5 support team or anything, So patience and persistence are the name of the game :slight_smile:

Sorry, I got the flu…

I have an absolute encoder test bench here. I have one encoder working well but multiple SPI encoders is misbehaving so we’ll have to see. I’d say we’re about 60-70% done with testing. Maybe end of the month?

1 Like

Reading the “encoder guide” , I naively thought that the CUI AMT232B was supported or at least usable with Odrive. I ordered 4 of them. I had also to order connectors that were not included. These molex connectors appeared to be very difficult to use.
Then when I connect an AMT232B, the odrive board does not start : the DRV8301 SPI bus cannot initialize.I realize that the interface used by AMT232B is SSI not SPI.
If somebody has a method to use it with Odrive, I am interested.

Since an absolute encoder, around the shaft, is mandatory for my application, I am now considering AMT203.
But I want to be more careful this time :
Is AMT203 working with Odrive ?
I see a firmware branch supporting this encoder. Has it been tested ?
How can this be ported to RazorEdge (I need also the CAN bus) ?
Any experience with AMT203 will be appreciated.

Not sure about AMT203, but AMT102 should for sure work since it’s sold in the ODrive shop.

Any progress with the absolute encoders? @jct We are facing the same requirements, we need a branch with CAN support and absolute encoders