The Release Candidate for Firmware v0.5.1 is ready! You can find binaries here, and check the instructions “How to flash a custom firmware” here. You can also check out this release on GitHub. This thread is for feedback and discussion about the firmware. Please let us know in the poll below even if everything works.
This firmware has breaking changes to the input interface and certain config values.
input_pos and input_vel are now in units of turns and turns/s instead of counts input_current is now input_torque with units of Nm motor.config.torque_constant and motor.config.torque_lim have been added. axis.config.counts_per_step is now axis.config.turns_per_step
These changes allow for the controller gains to be encoder-agnostic, as well as making the controller units easier to interpret in general. torque_lim is disabled (set to infinite) by default. The motor still has a current limit which will still in effect limit the torque.
We added a new way to define the ODrive parameter interface that makes the initial connection to odrivetool much faster. Motor thermistor support has also been added. A complete list of changes is in the changelog.
Previously saved values, like the controller gains, need to be converted into the new units.
torque_constant is approximately equal to 8.27 / (motor KV)
Please note that we are intentionally skipping release of v0.5.0. This is because we wanted to include the unit changes noted above. We don’t anticipate adding any new features now, only bug fixes. Please help us find the bugs!
I don’t think ‘endpoint’ has been removed, but you should be using ‘input_pos’ instead of ‘pos_setpoint’.
This is to allow things like input filtering and the new trajectory planner to work. If controller.config.input_mode is set to INPUT_MODE_PASSTHROUGH then it sets pos_setpoint immediately.
Dudes, what have you done to the firmware?
Is there any changes to the controllers? I can now run much slower and smoother in position mode than before. Very nice!
One comment; if I auto-format ascii_protocol.cpp the compilation fails as when including “odrive_main.h” it has to be above “autogen/type_info.hpp”. I spent hours figuring out why it failed (yes, i have made a few modifications to the code which i thought was the problem).
Maybe VScode can be configured not to mess around with the includes, but i added a comment on the line above “autogen/type_infor.hpp” in order to keep it below the rest: #include “odrive_main.h” #include “communication.h” #include “ascii_protocol.hpp” #include <utils.hpp> #include <fibre/cpp_utils.hpp>
// commet to keep order correct… #include “autogen/type_info.hpp” #include "communication/interface_can.hpp"s
So, for sure not an expert here, but I was able to use the RC PWM as per the hoverboard instruction page, and I cannot get it to work with new update. Is this something that is known, or am I doing something wrong. Tried the following…