Hoverboard Motor - Odrivetool hangs

I am trying to configure my new odrive for a standard hoverboard motor using the hoverboard guide.

I enter all the listed configuration parameters, then save config and reboot.

After calibrating the motor and encoder I set them to pre_calibrated = TRUE, save config and reboot.

Once the odrive reboots, I enter two commands:

odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL
odrv0.axis0.controller.vel_setpoint = 120

Odrivetool does or does not respond to the second command. In either case the odrivetool hangs.

What am I doing wrong? More info can be found in my previous post which went unanswered.

Hello Howard, I don’t think you are doing anything really wrong, and that’s probably why the previous post was unanswered. if ODrive stops taking commands after you enter CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL, you may have motor switching noise affecting the USB connection.
Can you check system log for USB error messages when you get ChannelBrokenException?
Also do you have an USB-UART converter or an arduino to check if you can issue CLOSED_LOOP_CONTROL and control the motor using physical uart interface?

Hi naktamello, Thank you very much for the response, information, and suggestions. Thanks also for your patience, as I am obviously new here. Should I become knowledgeable enough to pay it forward at some time in the future, I will do so.

Check system logs - Windows System logs show no related errors. dump_errors(odrv0) also shows no errors. Is there someplace else I should be looking?

USB-UART converter? I have an arduino. I had hoped to get the motor(s) running before I had to figure that part out. I will go learn that and report back.

Stay tuned…