Hoverboard motors switch from Hall to Encoders, now errors

I have 2 15 pole hoverboard motors that were working fine, just not much resolution, so I switched to two optical encoders, they now are are 2 inch encoder wheels on 10 inch tires at 2400 count, so 12000 cpr; everything works fine when running the calibration sequence.
When in closed loop mode on velocity mode even with vel_gain starting at defaults for odrive reset, I get errors:
axis0
axis: Error(s):
ERROR_CONTROLLER_FAILED
motor: Error(s):
ERROR_CONTROL_DEADLINE_MISSED
encoder: no error
controller: Error(s):
ERROR_OVERSPEED

I set the vel_limit real high and then I get the motor speeding out of control, or moving in jumps, not really moving smoothy, then will get a ;
axis: Error(s):
ERROR_MOTOR_FAILED
motor: Error(s):
ERROR_CURRENT_UNSTABLE
encoder: no error
controller: no error

this is VERY FRUSTRATING… would be nice if there was a step by step setup, I’ve followed everything I could find on your site, read all the community threads, I just don’t understand what is happening.
I put the encoders on a scope, they look pretty clean, but when the motors come on there is a bit of white noise on the signals.
When I run AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE it runs nice and smooth seems to work fine. Closed loop though seems to vibrate slightly even at very low vel_gain ~.00001

Please help

I recommend disabling the overspeed error (controller.config.vel_limit_tolerance = 0.0) to start. Just be aware that the controller could go unstable and spin the motor at full speed. Take necessary precautions.