How to choose encoder, supply voltage, other options

Hello, I’m making my first purchase of an oDrive system. My application is rather open ended, I want first to play with the motor and see what I can do with it, then I’ll design a project around it. I’m an artist working with creative machinery.

I like torque, so I selected the more powerful D6374. I selected the oDrive with cables. I selected the 56V supply voltage option because I usually use 24V power supplies, and I figured lower input current draw for the same output power. Thoughts?

For encoders, I’m not too concerned about super accurate position information, but I would like to run at high speeds, so I selected the 8192 CPR encoder. Thoughts?

Finally I added the appropriate NEMA faceplate.

Does this seem like a reasonable first time purchase?

I welcome any advice and comments you all may have.

Thanks,
Michael

Yes perfect, and you have correctly applied conservation of energy instead of assuming that input current = output current, well done :smiley:
Indeed, the 56V version is more suitable, even if you are using a 24V supply.

The D6374 and CUI AMT102 have been well tested by ODrive so should work without issues. However I’d also recommend trying an absolute encoder with a magnet stuck to the end of the shaft (you can easily 3D print an adapter) - this is slightly more complicated to get going, but if you do manage it then it will make your life easier in future - the incremental encoders need to have very little mechanical load on start-up so they can do their index search. Whereas motors with absolute encoders do not need a start up sequence.

Also, please make sure you buy the ferrite rings, they solve a lot of EM noise problems.

1 Like

Thanks for your great suggestions Towen, I will add the ring as you suggest and when I build my contraption (whatever it is) I will add an absolute encoder at some point.

1 Like