I need help solving encoder polespairs\cpr mismatch error

Hi,
i have two motors (similar power characteristics) and one encoder (8192 cpr).
on one motor (the 150KV one I got from the ODRIVE store ) - all is fine. everything works.

on other motor (same encoder attached) - not working.
when on AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE , the motor turns only in one direction )instead of both like the first motor) and on dump_errors(odrv0,True) I get ENCODER_ERROR_CPR_POLEPAIRS_MISMATCH .

to conclude the pole pares on second motor I rotated it by hand and got 12 detents (magnetic “clicks”) in one full turn. I have set odrv0.axis0.motor.config.pole_pairs = 12.
when rotating shaft by hand, each detent is about XXX encoder counts from previous.

I thought turn direction an issue in calibration sequence so I did swap two phases to get it to turn the other way but at same result.
checking odrv0.axis0.encoder.shadow_count - for a full turn I got 8160 and each detent is about 650 from the last one (which fits 12 pole pairs). encoder is very sensitive to touching.
I have tried setting odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.calib_range to 0.05 and 0.2 and 0.5 - no help there…

:cold_sweat:
what else should I change to get it to work?
i have read everything i have found on this issue. made a save configuration and reboot.

Please check your encoder, if it is AMT-102V, check the four dial on the PCB and make sure it is in all OFF “0000” position

these dip switches are to set resolution of the encoder. changing them would mean that I need to change the encoder.cpr - right? how does changing to max resolution could help in this situation?

anyway - in my case al the dipswitches are all up (max resolution) - tested by hand to be accurate.
maybe it’s too accurate and you meant lowering the resolution? put all dip switches down?

I looked at the manual here:
amt102_manual_resolution_Snippet|690x419

12 pole pairs is somewhat unusual. 11 is much more common. There are some other ways to check the number, might want to try those.

Spot on. it was 2 poles, not 12.
could you point out a link where could I learn to recognize poles beside feeling detents manually?
thanks.
@Wetmelon @maxwlchow

Hi Aviv, in the Getting started guide we have some extra info