Motor and Encoder to Odrive wiring

Hey all,

I just entered an existing project as a new member and I am a littlebit overwhelmed.
I got an Odrive 3.6. Now I want to wire a Maxon EC 90 flat motor and the Maxon MILE 512-6400 encoder to the Odrive. Problem is: I have no idea how that works. The datasheets of those parts are not helping. Does anyone know where to find information about that or can explain it to me. Like i actually need to know which pins of the motor I have to connect to which pins of the Odrive, sounds dumb, I know.

Here is a picture of the pins.

Thanks!

Hi, I am actually in you same situation, or better, i would like to use the same motors with the same encoder, but using O-Drives instead of the maxon motor controller. But i’m having difficulties finding a way to do so.

Have you succeeded in you project? Could you help me further?

Thank you in advance,

Samuel

Hi there,

Could you post the exact Maxon motor and encoder you’re using? And upload any datasheets if possible.

Hello, MILE encoders from MAXON are using differential signals: A, /A, B and /B.
You need to convert the signals to TTL or CMOS signal usint RS-422 or RS-485 signals. I recommend you the driver SN 75175: https://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/sn75175

Then, you can connect driver outputs to Odrive.

I hope it helps :slight_smile:

Just as a note - the ODrive logic levels will be compatible with the noninverting differential signals. You’ll lose the robustness of differential communications, though this is frequently acceptable with short wire lengths.

1 Like