Physical Configuration:

• Axis 0: in use.
  • Axis 1: unused.
  • Brake Resistor: In use

Board Configuration:
odrv0.axis0.controller.config.vel_limit = 3000
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.calibration_current= 10
odrv0.config.brake_resistance = 0.47
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.pole_pairs = 14 (We have tried 7 as well)
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.motor_type = 2 = MOTOR_TYPE_GIMBAL
odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.cpr = 600
odrv0.axis0.motor.config.resistance_calib_max_voltage = 14.8 (This resets to 1 after board reboot)

Problem:
Upon executing odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE motor moves slightly and stops. Subsequent attempts fail to move the motor.

Errors:
hex(odrv0.axis0.error) = ā€˜0x41ā€™ (ERROR_MOTOR_FAILED, ERROR_INVALID_STATE)
hex(odrv0.axis0.motor.error) = ā€˜0x90ā€™ (ERROR_MODULATION_MAGNITUDE, ERROR_CONTROL_DEADLINE_MISSED)

Request:
What did we do wrong, or what additional options must we set to get a proper full calibration?

Thanks in advance. Any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: When launching odrivetool, it takes about 30 seconds to connect tothe odrive board. Is this normal? This is the readout after that ~30 seconds:
ODrive control utility v0.4.1
Please connect your ODrive.
You can also type help() or quit().

Connected to ODrive 207537AC3548 as odrv0
In [1]:

Please set
odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.cpr = 2400 (4x your encoder ppr)

Count the # of magnets in the motor and divide by two. That should be your Pole Pair value (odrv0.axis0.motor.config.pole_pairs). If you count 28 magnets, use 14. If you count 14 magnets, use 7.

Thanks for providing a detailed readout of your setup and configuration, itā€™s very helpful.

A high resistance motor (which gimbal motors are) together with ERROR_MODULATION_MAGNITUDE usually means that the resistance measurement failed because the motor was too high resistance to push calibration_current = 10A through it. However when motor type is MOTOR_TYPE_GIMBAL, this measurement should be skipped, because we know it will likely fail, and in gimbal motor mode we donā€™t use the motor resistance/inductance. See here.
So my primary suggestion would be to double check that you have written odrv0.axis0.motor.config.motor_type = 2 = MOTOR_TYPE_GIMBAL before you call odrv0.axis0.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE.

Let me know if this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

Hi, sorry we didnā€™t get back to you right away.

I am certain we set odrv0.axis0.motor.config.motor_type = MOTOR_TYPE_GIMBAL. We attempted to set odrv0.axis0.encoder.config.cpr = 2400 but we had a motor error before we set it. We couldnā€™t seem to clear the axis error (it always sets to 1 even we say 0) and when this happens I usually just quit odrivetool, unplug the board, reconnect it, and try again. Wanting to start fresh, I did an odrv0.erase_configuration() before unplugging the board and now I can no longer connect to the board. The computer doesnā€™t even see it (doesnā€™t make the normal sound when a USB device is plugged in). I canā€™t select it in the zadig utility and so right now weā€™re a bit stuck. Iā€™m hesitant to say the board is bricked, but it sure seems that way.

I canā€™t see the magnets in the motor, but if I spin it manually, it likes to rest in certain positions due to the magnets. I count 14 different rest positions per revolution. I would suspect that thatā€™s 14 magnets and thus 7 pairs. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

Thanks

You may have to reflash it with the most up to date firmware via STLinkV2, unfortunately.

Yeah, the ā€œcoggingā€ positions. 14 magnet / 7 pole pairs is common. I would use 7 for that value and see what you get.

Iā€™m not familiar with STLink at all. Any resources or a walk through that you could point me to that would help?

Youā€™ll need the ODrive Firmware Developers Guide:

With ODrive v3.5 and newer you donā€™t need an ST-Link to flash it, you can do it over USB in DFU Mode (@wetmelon FYI). With a bricked ODrive you will need to do the step that says ā€œHow to force DFU mode (ODrive v3.5)ā€.

If you get issues or get stuck, you can find me on the #support channel on the ODrive discord.