Motor Not Calibrating

Just got my ODrive today, and I am in the process of going through the setup. After connecting to the ODrive, I send the AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE command. I hear the beep sound and then the motor starts turning. However, it only turns in one direction and then stops.

I checked the motor error, and it gave me 257, which I am not sure what that means.

I also checked on the ODrive wiki for some troubleshooting help, and it calls out this exact issue. I did all the checks with the encoder, and nothing seems to be wrong with it.

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that my setup is a 20 tooth to 60 tooth pulley setup. My encoder is attached to the 60 tooth axis. Would this cause the issues that I am seeing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wayneStock

After some more fooling around. It looks like I needed to divide the PPR of the encoder by 3 for the 3:1 ratio to work. However, since I needed a whole number for it to work, I bumped my encoder PPR down to 384 (1,536), then set ODrive’s PPR to 512 to create the 3:1.

Looks like moving forward, I will just have to change my design so that the encoder fits on the motor shaft instead.

1 Like