NEMA Enclosures for D5065 and D6374 motors

Here are the files for the NEMA23 compatible mounting solution for the D5065, and NEMA34 for D6374 dual shaft motors and CUI AMT-102v encoder, which are the ones currently available from the ODrive shop.

There are two versions of the enclosures, one has triangular overhang ventilation holes and can be printed without supports. The other version allows using a 40mm fan for forced air cooling. Since the motors have a thermistor, you could control the fan speed based on motor temperature.

Hardware and Files

I would recommend to print this in PETg or other high temp plastic, since it is easy for the motor heat to soften the plastic.

Files:

The enclosure consistos of two parts that are bolted together. The required mounting hardware is:

• 4x M4 8mm screws for the motor.
  • 4x M3 8mm screws for the encoder. These self-tap into the 3D printed plastic.
  • 4x M3 10mm screws to hold the plate to the shell. These self-tap into the plastic.
  • 4x M4 screws for the fan, if using the forced air version. The length of the screws depend on how thick the fan is. The depth of the hole for the screw into the plastic is 8mm.

Pictures

5 Likes

Anyone done anything similar with the D6374? Laser or 3d printable?

2 Likes

wow! brilliant!
thanks for sharing

Freaking AWESOME. clearances are spot on. I’m actually considering ordering these in metal print.

I made a slight alteration to the naturally cooled version by adding a 32mm cutout at the top, to work with the old style motor that got sold before the new odrive branded double shaft one.
STL and STEP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ftdZWJvLsA_nOH6cB2hIYaGB4l3B1tc_/view

Here it is printed out. You cant see it that well but as the shaft is mounted with 4 screws you got that 28*10mm disk that was too large to fit the new case.

Get the base plate milled in Aluminum and the cover printed in high temp PLA. much cheaper and more accurate. Those metal sinter parts are actually pretty rough when they come out of the oven and have rather bad tolerances.

Hi All!

Just had a print return for the D5065 motor and noticed that the faceplate is the wrong size. The sizing is for the D6374. The spacing of the M4 screws to attach the motor to the faceplate are 30mm apart, but they should be 20mm.

This error is in the Onshape docs, not in the downloadable STEP/STL files.

Really annoying though!

Best,
Nat

Hi, Thanks for the heads up! Will get that fixed.

2 Likes

Hi ,
is there a guide on how to do the D6374 motor cooling.

1. How to wire odrive D6374 thermistor with the odrive
  2. How to controll fan speed based on motor temp. Is this function implemented ?
  3. What fans to get ,the 3 pin or the 4 pin version ?

Best regards,
Rosen

Thermistor wiring is shown here Thermistors — ODrive Documentation 0.0 documentation

These two will be dependent on whatever controller you’re using for the fan. ODrive itself doesn’t have a fan header (well, unless you’re on the Pro. Are you on Pro or v3.6?)

1 Like

Thank you for the response. No, i don’t have the Pro version. Yesterday I managed to read temperature with arduino , so i can use it to controll the cooling fan too. The only thing that i dont have are the poly coefficients, so for now my temp readings are not so accurate.
Has anyone here found the poly coefficients of the thermistor of the D6374?