Phase Resistance/Inductance Error

Hello all, I have been looking at multiple forum responses/questions and have tried various things.
I am currently just trying to simply get a motor (MAXON 509366 configuration which as an additional gearhead) running. But I keep getting phase_resistance_out_of_range and phase_inductance_out_of_range while keeping this in mind:

And yes my terminal connections are making contact with the phase wires and not the insulation.

Nominal Voltage: 48V
Nominal Current: 1.56A
Terminal Resistance: 2.37ohms
Pole Pairs: 2

My supply can support 48V and up to 21 Amps
I am using an Odrive 3.6V

I did the following steps (I have my motor connected to axis 1 btw)
MOTORTYPE = 0 (HIGH CURRENT)

1. odrivetool
  2. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.resistance_calib_max_voltage = 4 //I know that this can be no more than 1/2 supply voltage
  3. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.current_lim = 1.56 //10 is default
  4. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.pole_pairs = 2 //1 is default
  5. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.calibration_current = 1 //default 10
  6. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.motor_type = 0
  7. odrv0.axis1.controller.config.vel_limit = 135 //default is 2
  8. odrv0.axis1.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_MOTOR_CALIBRATION
  9. odrv0.axis1.motor //to check values
  10. odrv0.axis1.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE
  11. dump_errors(odrv0)

MOTOR TYPE : 2 (GIMBAL since we are greater than 1 ohm)
This was taken into consideration from odrive website : For gimbal motors, it is recommended to set the config.calibration_current and config.current_lim to half your bus voltage, or less.

1. odrivetool
  2. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.resistance_calib_max_voltage = 20 //I know that this can be no more than 1/2 supply voltage
  3. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.current_lim = 8 //10 is default
  4. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.pole_pairs = 2 //1 is default
  5. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.calibration_current = 8 //default 10 (took into consideration the maxvolt > calcurrent * phaseresistance)
  6. odrv0.axis1.motor.config.motor_type = 2 //GIMBAL just because we are higher resistance
  7. odrv0.axis1.controller.config.vel_limit = 135 //default is 2
  8. odrv0.axis1.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_MOTOR_CALIBRATION
  9. odrv0.axis1.motor //to check values
  10. odrv0.axis1.requested_state = AXIS_STATE_FULL_CALIBRATION_SEQUENCE
  11. dump_errors(odrv0)
    (my motor starts to try and move and I hear gear like sounds)
    MicrosoftTeams-image (3)

Any suggestions on what I could change? I feel like Iā€™m pretty close and was wondering if taking the GIMBAL approach is the safe/best way to run this motor.

Well, ODrive is a poor choice for driving this motor. But you may be able to get it to work if you are able to fix the PHASE INDUCTANCE problem. See here: ODrive Reference ā€” ODrive Pro Documentation 0.6.5 documentation

1 Like