Seeking Advice on Choosing Odrive S1 vs Odrive Pro

I am computer programmer and have little experience in elctrical engineering. I am working on a project that uses a BLDC motor with the specifications given below. I would really appreciate some advice on whether Odrive S1 or Odrive Pro is suitable with this motor. I feel like Odrive S1 is sufficient but I want to be sure before I make the purchase.

MOTOR SPECS:
KV = 95
Idle Current(18V) = 0.7A
Peak Current(180s) = 38A
Rated Voltage(Lipo) = 12S(4.2V/pc) / 48-52V
Max. Power(180s) = 1790W

Please let me know if more details are required.

Thanks in advance.

Hi! I would generally consult the comparison table: ODrive Comparison Table — ODrive Documentation 0.6.10 documentation

Typically yes I would say the S1 would be fine, however two things to note:

• The maximum modulation depth is 78%, so your motor will only have a top speed roughly 78% of what you expect (e.g. at 48V it’ll be 95*48*.78 = 3556 RPM vs 95*48 = 4560 RPM with the ODrive Pro)
  • The 12*4.2=50.4V maximum of 12S lipo packs is very close to the absolute max nominal bus voltage of 50.5V – the S1 was designed with 12S packs in mind, however you’ll have to be very careful with inrush current – when you plug the battery into the S1, you can cause a voltage spike due to the large amount of capacitance in the S1, so you should use antispark connectors or a BMS with soft-start/precharge capability.

As long as both of these things are noted, I don’t think there’s an issue with the S1! I’ve personally used it quite a bit with 12S packs with no issues :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. This information is very helpful.