Trying to get started with ODrive and 1500w Golden motor. Following the ‘getting started’ guide. Tried both CUI encoder and motor hall sensors. Details below. All help much appreciated!
- Hardware seems to work, I’m using OdriveTool on Windoze PC, it works, I can talk to the ODrive, all looks good. Running from a 5A 48V power supply for now to limit current. No load on motor.
- Encoder A and B signals look good on a scope when spinning motor by hand. I did not hook up the Z line since it is optional. Cui 102 encoder.
- As suggested in the doc I hooked up DC to one winding and counted bumps when turning the motor by hand. I counted 5 bumps in one revolution and entered that 5 in the “pole pairs” field. Repeated the test several times. Saved config and rebooted.
- I can run the calibration command, it jumps and the motor turns one way, but usually it does not turn back the other way. Then I can find errors, usually they are encoder errors.
- The encoder by default was 2048 PPR so the Odrive default 8192 is good. So why am I seeing “cpr out of range” or whatever the exact error code is?
- Yikes, at 5000 RPM 2048 PPR is 10MHz, that’s not so good. So I set the DIP switches in the encoder to make 100 PPR, and entered 400 in the ODrive software. Still no good.
- Since i was getting encoder errors, I decided to ditch the encoder and use the hall sensors built into the motor. Wired it up, with .02uf bypass caps. Set the CPR to 5*6 = 30. But when I do the calibration routine I’m still getting errors. I can easily switch between hall and encoder, so advice about either mode will be helpful.
- The hoverboard part of the ‘getting started’ guide mentions a lot of different parameters because the motor is so different from a typical R/C plane motor. I wonder if this is the root of my problem. How to choose reasonable starting parameters for my motor? The motor is Golden Motor # BLDC-108, you can go here and scroll down, but they don’t provide a lot of tech data.
So I have yet to get the motor spinning. I can get partway or (once, I don’t know why it was different0 all the way through the calibration procedure, but then it leaves error flags and I can’t get the motor to run. Any advice about what I should try next will be much appreciated! It looks like the ODrive is a good system that will meet my needs… but the learning curve feels a bit steep right now.