Two SPI Encoder

Hi, does anyone have a picture how to wire two spi encoder as5048a?
Thx
Martin

All wires are the same except for the CS which needs to be a different GPIO pin.

Also you need to daisy chain them together… see this datasheet page 9

Oh, interesting. I hadn’t noticed that @martin was talking specifically about AS5048.
While AS5047 encoders are supported, I remember being told that AS5048 use a different protocol and are not supported, at least not without adding it yourself in the firmware.
Probably the protocol difference is to account for multiple encoders on a daisy-chained bus, like you point out.

Thx for the very fast response, i will try the daisy cain circuit. I have two of these:

It does it’s Job with one motor, no problems.
Soon i will try both at once.

Thx
Martin

1 Like

I don’t think it’s necessary to daisy chain them together, see the AS5048A datasheet page 13, Figure 17: Multiple Slave, n+3 Wire (Separate ChipSelect).

1 Like

Was this solved? If so, any and all guidance would be very helpful. I have a very similar situation that I am dealing with currently with two AS5048A Encoders

The AS5048A is supported; we use two of them in the above mentioned n+3 wire (separate CS) configuration.
I do recommend a pull-up resistor on each CS line to prevent the encoders from listening on the SPI bus while the ODrive is unconfigured.

1 Like