DRV_FAULT on ODrive v3.4

There have been scattered reports of getting ERROR_DRV_FAULT on ODrive v3.4. The circumstances that trigger this fault have been fairly elusive; we found it differs between boards, motors and bus voltage, in a fairly inconsistent way. Though we found that it seems to be sensitive to high gain settings. It seems about 5% of users are affected.

We hope to address all of the grounding related glitchyness in ODrive v3.5 where we plan to move to a 4-layer design with a solid ground plane for the logic side.

Meanwhile we found a fix that you can apply to your v3.4 board if you are having issues with DRV_FAULTs. You can change the ground that DVDD is bypassed to from AGND to the GND right under the DRV chip. This has fixed or significantly improved the situation for 4/5 people with the issue.

See the following instructions:

De-solder C35, then solder it on again in the configuration shown. Solder a wire as shown to the thermal pads of the M0 DRV chip. Note that you will need a fair ammount of heat/time to properly wet these vias.

Similarly flip C50 and solder a wire to the vias for M1 side, as per the above picture.

ERROR_DRV_FAULT Motor cannot start
Limit being reached causing error state shutdown?
No response form hoverboard motors (and I guess a whole slew of other issues)
Help with setting up ODrive to work with Magic Pie motor
Help with setting up ODrive to work with Magic Pie motor
Hoverboard wheels and ODrive
Ver 3.4, 48V boards in Europe

Hi!

I seem to be having the same issue. At higher current draws (>35A) the motor suddenly stops responding and I get the error code ERROR_DRV_FAULT. How can I be sure this is the issue and not something else? I am using Odrive 3.4 with the N5065 270kv motor and 2400 CPR optical Encoder and I would like to avoid re-soldering board components unless completely necessary.

Thanks,
Daniel

What do you get when you read out the following with explore_odrive, when it has entered the fault condition?

my_odrive.motor0.gate_driver.drv_fault
my_odrive.motor1.gate_driver.drv_fault