Encoder ERROR_ILLEGAL_HALL_STATE on firmware version 5.2

Hey guys,

So I just updated my boards’ firmwares to 5.2 and am suddenly running into a ENCODER_ERROR_ILLEGAL_HALL_STATE error on both of them. I connected an oscilloscope to the A B and Z lines and they move as I turn the motor. The connections are also the exact same as they were when my system worked in firmware 5.1. Was anything changed that may have caused this?

1 Like

Hi,

can you observe that shadow_count on axis0 remains 0 while hall_state is changing? I ran into the same issue, after upgrading from a very old firmware to 0.5.2. reverting to 0.5.1 solved the issue, but introduced others (related to 0.5.1 and not having the proper documentation for the older firmware)

Kind regards,
Tim

@timoldenb That’s interesting! It could be a configuration bug then.
You could try backing up and erasing your config.
odrivetool backup-config borked_config.json
odrv0.erase_configuration

At the same time you could also update the firmware to 0.5.3

I wonder if this could be @JacksonMarkow’s problem too, from Illegal hall state error - #5 by towen

Btw, you can find the older documentation here: ODrive/docs at fw-v0.5.1 · odriverobotics/ODrive · GitHub

thanks, I was sure that it will be somewhere in the git repo but had no time to search for it yet :wink:

Hey @towen ,
In my scenario, I frequently used the erase_configuration to be sure not to have older config artifacts and work with a default setting config provided by the firmware. I posted my experiences in another thread: Error in Firmware - shadow_count - #3 by timoldenb

I cannot say if the original post is caused by the issue I am having here. I cannot replicate it yet as I do not have another controller to compare, but I have had 6 different motors and cable sets :wink:

Greetings from Switzerland,
Tim

I recently had this issue happen on 2 more oDrives so it’s a bit more serious than I first thought. Right when I update firmware using odrivetool dfu, they throw hall state errors after hall polarity calibration step, even in the exact setup as before where my system worked. Extremely confused. I have eliminated EMI noise too with ferrites and 22nf capacitors

So, I have spun up a hoverboard motor with Hall sensors on a power supply, and I think I have replicated this issue.

I found that at first, despite ferrites, twisted wiring, separation of encoder and power cables etc, I needed to add capacitors otherwise I would get ILLEGAL_HALL_STATE even to enable the motor at 12V with zero current demand.

After adding capacitors, it spins merrily up to about 20V, but if I go higher then I get ILLEGAL_HALL_STATE. But I haven’t been able to capture an illegal state on the liveplotter.
If I set encoder.config.ignore_illegal_hall_state then obviouslt I can go higher - this is a transient issue after all. But at around 40V, I can hear that something is wrong.
If I open the liveplotter, then I can still see no illegal states, but something is wrong - I would expect the distribution of Hall states to be uniform - i.e. a noise signal (it’s spinning way too fast for the liveplotter sampling) but with equal probability for each of the six valid Hall states.
Instead, I get this:

As you can see, Hall states 1-4 are very common, but 6 and 7 are rare. Wtf is going on?

So I got out the scope, and it’s pretty obvious what’s going on: The capacitors that I added aren’t helping at all - the rise time of the signal is much too slow, so it takes about 2ms to reach 3.3v.

Without the capacitors, it’s a lot quieter, draws less from the power supply, and the liveplotter is correct.
There is some noise, obviously (as it still doesn’t work without ignore_illegal_hall_state) but the noise is only at the ‘logic high’ state.
So, I think that these particular Hall sensors would benefit more from stronger pullup resistors than they would capacitors.

2 Likes