Simulator rig with ODrive

hi,

I’ve bought a DPS5020 wich is a lab bench power supply that can deliver up to 50V 20A for testing, afterwords I will buy the smps that’s best for me.

That’s right, but you can’t have the center of gravity perfect. Also even if the center of gravity is perfect you still need some power to hold it on the right height and also for turning, you can find more information on this link
https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_we_calculate_the_required_torque_to_rotate_1200_kg_of_mass

Also why are you using 2 limit switches? You can count the number of rotations so you only need one?

greetings

HI,
thanks for the info.

Two limit switches in case of an error might be better. If something goes wrong the limit switch can do an emergency stop.

Greetings Zennix

Hi,

Is it a hardware emergency limit switch or software?

Greetings stijn

Hi,
this are physcal switches they can be used for both. Depending what Wetmelon will integrate in the firmware.

Greetings Zennix

Hi,

Yes I know but dit you hook them up to an Arduino/raspberry pi/… or does it just cut the power to the board?

Greetings Stijn

Hi,

the limit switch at the zero position is connected to a GPIO at the ODrive board. The upper position is actually open.

After initialization and finding zero position, the switches are only for emergency detection. I will try to use an GPIO of ODrive to show that initialization is finished and the control loop is running. This signal is used to connect both switches to a relais that can cut of the power.

Better ideas are wellcome.

Greetings Zennix

Hi,

The chanches are small but the program could fail, so I would take a NC limit switch and put it between the power cable, be sure to take a big one to not lose to much voltage

Greetings Stijn

Hi,

How are you planning to connect with the Xsim software? Are you going to connect the odrives to your computer or are you going to send it to a raspberry pi for example? Do you have some more information for me about the Xsim software because I havn’t figured that out jet.

greetings Stijn

Hi again Stijn, it is recommended by XSim to use a go between (Arduino UNO will suffice) a lot of people using XSim are using the Ard, as its affectionately known, if you haven’t already XSim is a great place to start.

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/

Regards Jerry

Hi,
my goal is to connect the simtools direct to ODrive. Have a look to the above video. The motion comes direct from the game engine.

You can use the ODrive arduino lib and connect it through an arduino. But I want to use the ASCII interface and my tests are quite good till now.

Register to xsimulator.net and download the package. It’s for free. You need an addin for every game you want to play. That will cost some money. But for testing you can use the lfs https://www.lfs.net/ sim the addon is also for free.

Greetings / Zennix

Thanks for all the help, I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY :grey_exclamation:

1 Like

hi,

its me again, how is the project going? I have another question, why is everyone using a carbon tube and not stainless steel or something else?

greetings Stijn

Hi Stijn, how is the project going? mine is slow, waiting on bits :disappointed:

CF vs SS, for me SS was the same price, CF is supposed to be stronger, lighter and looks better :grinning:

https://www.engineering.com/calculators/beams.htm

and

hope this helps

Regards Jerry.

hi,
thanks for the link, I’ve started the build of the first linear actuator, I’m now waiting on some aluminium

greetings Stijn

Hi all,

here is an update about the weekend work.

The upper rig chassis is welded.

The cardan also. Comes from a Mercedes SLK :grimacing:.

Now waiting for:

1. limit switch firmware
  2. CFK tube for the second actuator
  3. base chassis
  4. heatsink for the resistor

Greetings / Zennix

2 Likes

hi,
how much did the cardan cost?
greetings stijn

Hi,
it was a used part from ebay, About 29,- €.

Greetings / Zennix

but you only have one now

Hi,
this is the main joint between the upper chassis and the base chassis. Every actuator will have an little joint at the bottom and a ball joint at the top.

Greetings / Zennix

hi,
is the cardan your center of rotation then? or?
greetigs stijn