Simulator rig with ODrive

Hi Robin,
I had the same problem with negative values. I cross the lines A and B of the AMT102 and the values are positive.

Here my settings in the game engine:

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix, I am a new member here in the Odrive community and I am so impresed by your great work with Odrive and your simulator that I decided to follow your way and build my own 6dof simulator with the Odrive System. After a lot of research in the web I think for me this ist the cheapest and most straight forward way to realize a simulator.
The current status of my work:
I made a verry crude CAD design of the actuators and the whole 6dof sim in order to make some movement studies and find out the correct dimensions (still in work!):

Furthermore I ordered (and got) 6 brushless motors of the same type you use. I got them from china for aproximately 30,-€ inc. taxes. Verry cheap :-).
And I ordered the Odrive electronic with two encoders. They will arrive soon.

My plan is to try to get the motors and software working together - and I think this will be the most demanding thing for me :-).
If this is working, I will design the actuator more in detail and will order some materials. Maybe I will make a prototype before ordering all the material for the 6 actuators…I will see.

Kind regards
Peter W.

Hi Peter,
thank you. Your design looks great.
Basicly my goal was to design a 6dof too. But wasn’t shure to get it working with ODrive. Now my 2dof runs without any problems over hours now and it makes still a lot of fun.
May be, I will follow up the 6dof in future, but first I have to find more room for it.

One suggestion:
prepare your development environment as described and buy an STM programmer. There are still some issues with the serial communication and the only way to work around this, is to modify the software by yourself.

Please keep me informed about your progress.

greetings / Zennix

Hi,

I’m also making a 6 DOF one, you can find my project on the forum aswell.

I would suggest buying the parts for 1 actuator first, I did the same.

What motor is it? Can you send dimensions or a hyperlink?

If you have any questions regarding the buildup of an actuator, I’ve already done a lot of research, so hit me up!

Cheers Stijn

Hi zennix,

What type off VR goggles do you have?

Cheers Stijn

Hi Stijn,
My google is a Smsung Odyssee. Unfortunately they are not available in Europe. I bought it over a agent in NewYork.
Greetings Zennix

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I think I will go with a Oculus Rift

Cheers Stijn

Hi Zellix,
nice to get such a fast response - thanks!
For sure I will try to reproduce what you have done so far :slight_smile:
I also ordered the original Odrive ST-Link set…
regards
Peter W.

Hi Stijn
The motor I bought is the KEDA 63-64 (confusingly named kd-53-30 in the hobbyking-Link !? ). You will find it at Hobbyking and some other sellers. I bought them on Black friday for half the price :-).
The motor comes with a set of adapters. So you can use one adapter to adapt the encoder on the back side if you want.
The motor is also mentioned on the Odrive motor guide and shows a good performance.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/kd-53-30-high-voltage-brushless-outrunner-190kv.html?___store=en_us

regards Peter W.

Hi Peter,
I’m not sure if those motors are able to handle a 6 DOF, there is more power needed then you would think, bit you can try, I use Keda 6364 motors from Hobbyking for €43 each.

Cheers Stijn

Hi Peter,

Where did you get there cad model of the chair?

Cheers Stijn

Hi Stijn,
that’s only a misunderstanding because in the hyperlink from Hobbyking they call the motor KD-53-30 and when you open the link you will come to the KEDA 63-64 190KV. So very confusing !!!
My Motors are defenetly the KEDA 63-64 (see picture) :slight_smile:

The CAD-files from the Chair came from https://grabcad.com/ - a great source for a lot of CAD stuff

regards Peter

Hi,
That’s indeed very confusing, we’re using the same motors than I guess haha, I will upload more on my project on the end of the month

Cheers
Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Zennix,

some days ago my Odrive arrived and yesterday i build a simple test stand for first test runs.
I downloaded the odrivetool and simtools and after some trials i was able to run the calibration sequece…it worked and I am happy !!! :slight_smile:

But!.. now I am standing in front of a mountain called “software” and every code thats written in the tutorials seems to be chineese language for me.
Maybe you could give me some hints how to continue ?

As I have the same Motor and Encoders like you, things should be verry similar to setup?

My main questions:

1. Do I have to follow all the settings listed in “Configure M0” before I can continue?
  2. How can I get a working *.config, without beeing a software-developer? :slight_smile:
  3. How does the simtool talk with my odrive? Means how do I get the simtool-si
    gnals to the USB-Port?

I am so sorry asking you for so much help!
Mechanical things are easy for me (due to my Job), but software is not my world…

Maybe you could contact me via my private Email: p.wickelmaier@arcor.de and we can have a telephone conversation in german? Later I would post the solutions in a separate thread about my own simulator in order to help people in the community with same problems.

Kind regards an Merry christmas!!!

Peter

Hi,

I’m working hard on my project, this week I’ve almost finished the mechanical build, next week I’m going on a ski trip so I can’t do much, bit I’m going to try to do some software

Cheers
Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Peter,
that’s great that you can start building your rig. First of all, please open you own project thread to document your progress. Send me a link to it and will support you as good as i can.
To switch the conversation to german email would be easier but I think, it’s very important that the Odrive developer like madcowswe and wetmelon can see that there are still some todo’s with there software.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix!
Ok, I opened my own Project:

regards
Peter W.

Hi all sim builders,
if you try to build a 6dof think about that simtools has no calculation for sterling plattforms included. You need something that does the calculations for your geometry for you.
For me, I don`t want to go through an arduino. I found a solution that it’s worth to haver a closer look to.

Greeting / Zennix

HI Zennix, firstly: Happy new year!!, and secondly: thank you for your assistance (again) I will look closer at this.

I just hope it makes sense enough for me to understand.

Regards Jerry :grinning:

PS: I’m getting a bit closer to sending some pics, frame, wheel peddles (tick) actuators at the moment are in stages. :worried:

@Jerry.Atrick
Thank you, wish you a happy new year too.

The developer of the hexapod plugin for simtools opened a new thread especially for the plugin. He added also a manual. Find all the stuff here:

Greetings / Zennix