Simulator rig with ODrive

Hi Stijn,
that’s only a misunderstanding because in the hyperlink from Hobbyking they call the motor KD-53-30 and when you open the link you will come to the KEDA 63-64 190KV. So very confusing !!!
My Motors are defenetly the KEDA 63-64 (see picture) :slight_smile:

The CAD-files from the Chair came from https://grabcad.com/ - a great source for a lot of CAD stuff

regards Peter

Hi,
That’s indeed very confusing, we’re using the same motors than I guess haha, I will upload more on my project on the end of the month

Cheers
Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Zennix,

some days ago my Odrive arrived and yesterday i build a simple test stand for first test runs.
I downloaded the odrivetool and simtools and after some trials i was able to run the calibration sequece…it worked and I am happy !!! :slight_smile:

But!.. now I am standing in front of a mountain called “software” and every code thats written in the tutorials seems to be chineese language for me.
Maybe you could give me some hints how to continue ?

As I have the same Motor and Encoders like you, things should be verry similar to setup?

My main questions:

1. Do I have to follow all the settings listed in “Configure M0” before I can continue?
  2. How can I get a working *.config, without beeing a software-developer? :slight_smile:
  3. How does the simtool talk with my odrive? Means how do I get the simtool-si
    gnals to the USB-Port?

I am so sorry asking you for so much help!
Mechanical things are easy for me (due to my Job), but software is not my world…

Maybe you could contact me via my private Email: p.wickelmaier@arcor.de and we can have a telephone conversation in german? Later I would post the solutions in a separate thread about my own simulator in order to help people in the community with same problems.

Kind regards an Merry christmas!!!

Peter

Hi,

I’m working hard on my project, this week I’ve almost finished the mechanical build, next week I’m going on a ski trip so I can’t do much, bit I’m going to try to do some software

Cheers
Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Peter,
that’s great that you can start building your rig. First of all, please open you own project thread to document your progress. Send me a link to it and will support you as good as i can.
To switch the conversation to german email would be easier but I think, it’s very important that the Odrive developer like madcowswe and wetmelon can see that there are still some todo’s with there software.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix!
Ok, I opened my own Project:

regards
Peter W.

Hi all sim builders,
if you try to build a 6dof think about that simtools has no calculation for sterling plattforms included. You need something that does the calculations for your geometry for you.
For me, I don`t want to go through an arduino. I found a solution that it’s worth to haver a closer look to.

Greeting / Zennix

1 Like

HI Zennix, firstly: Happy new year!!, and secondly: thank you for your assistance (again) I will look closer at this.

I just hope it makes sense enough for me to understand.

Regards Jerry :grinning:

PS: I’m getting a bit closer to sending some pics, frame, wheel peddles (tick) actuators at the moment are in stages. :worried:

@Jerry.Atrick
Thank you, wish you a happy new year too.

The developer of the hexapod plugin for simtools opened a new thread especially for the plugin. He added also a manual. Find all the stuff here:

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix,
after making some initial tests with my own actuator and a 12 V Power-supply i am asking myself whether it is really necessary to go up to a 36 V Power source. So my question: Have you once tested your rig with 24V ? Is it still fast enough? What settings at vel_limit do you use?
And another question: Do you have an estimation of the average power consumption of 1 actuator? I am asking because I plan to connect three 20Ah, 12V batteries in a row to get the 36V. Parallel I would use a 36V, 8 A charger. I am not sure this will be enough.

kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter,
No, I never tested my rig below 36V. I also didn’t measure the current. Sorry
Having a higher voltage results in a lower current. Your and mine motors are capable to power 2000 Watts. With your air spring, you will never need 2000 Watts, but lets think about 1000 Watt. 1000/36 = 27 Amps. 1000/24 = 41 Amps. That’s a lot of current and you need thick wires. My recommendation is 36 Volts.
Think about a heave over all 6 actuators. Your batteries have to push 6000 Watts -> 24 V: 250 Amps, 36 V: 166Amps.
Your charger delivers only 288 Watts, you will quickly drain your batteries.
What do you think about a fat power supply with a minimum of 3000 Watts and parallel a 9S LIPO battery to buffer the peeks.

My vel_limit is set to 150.000.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix,
thanks a lot for your estimations!
Ok, I will follow your recommendation and go for the 36V - power supply.
Concerning the power consumption I will make some tests if the prototype is finished. I dont want to invest more than necessary.
kind regards
Peter

Hi Zenix, I am sooooooo sorry, I put my videos in the wrong thread !!! :scream: :cold_sweat:
I didnt want to spam your thread!!!
I straight removed them.
regards
Peter

Hi

When sending the possitions to the ODrives, what USB driver needs to be used?

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi,
in Windows 10 you didn’t need a driver. Connect the ODrive and you will find a serial port in the device manager. Use a terminal client like putty or HTerm to connect.

grafik

Greetings / Zennix

Hi

Okay thanks, so I have to connect them with putty before I’m able to send commands with SimTools to the ODrives?

If my switches don’t work, I will put it on the forum, I hope you will see it then.

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Stijn,

NO! Connect the ODrive to your PC and you will find a serial port in the device manager. Thats all simtools need. No other software is necessary.
If you want to send command manually you need a terminalprogram like putty or HTerm.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi

Ow okay, I get it, thank you :grinning:.

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi

Ik can’t find the sim addon for lfs and I’m trying to use FlyPT because I have a 6DOF but I don’t know what command to send?

[p <Axis 1a>] or p <Axis 1a><13>

Hi,

LFS plugin:
https://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/live-for-speed-plugin.29/

Think about, that xsim has no output for 6dof sims. You have to do the math!
Look at this:

Greetings / Zennix