Simulator rig with ODrive

Hi Peter,

Where did you get there cad model of the chair?

Cheers Stijn

Hi Stijn,
thatā€™s only a misunderstanding because in the hyperlink from Hobbyking they call the motor KD-53-30 and when you open the link you will come to the KEDA 63-64 190KV. So very confusing !!!
My Motors are defenetly the KEDA 63-64 (see picture) :slight_smile:

The CAD-files from the Chair came from https://grabcad.com/ - a great source for a lot of CAD stuff

regards Peter

Hi,
Thatā€™s indeed very confusing, weā€™re using the same motors than I guess haha, I will upload more on my project on the end of the month

Cheers
Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Zennix,

some days ago my Odrive arrived and yesterday i build a simple test stand for first test runs.
I downloaded the odrivetool and simtools and after some trials i was able to run the calibration sequeceā€¦it worked and I am happy !!! :slight_smile:

But!.. now I am standing in front of a mountain called ā€œsoftwareā€ and every code thats written in the tutorials seems to be chineese language for me.
Maybe you could give me some hints how to continue ?

As I have the same Motor and Encoders like you, things should be verry similar to setup?

My main questions:

1. Do I have to follow all the settings listed in ā€œConfigure M0ā€ before I can continue?
  2. How can I get a working *.config, without beeing a software-developer? :slight_smile:
  3. How does the simtool talk with my odrive? Means how do I get the simtool-si
    gnals to the USB-Port?

I am so sorry asking you for so much help!
Mechanical things are easy for me (due to my Job), but software is not my worldā€¦

Maybe you could contact me via my private Email: p.wickelmaier@arcor.de and we can have a telephone conversation in german? Later I would post the solutions in a separate thread about my own simulator in order to help people in the community with same problems.

Kind regards an Merry christmas!!!

Peter

Hi,

Iā€™m working hard on my project, this week Iā€™ve almost finished the mechanical build, next week Iā€™m going on a ski trip so I canā€™t do much, bit Iā€™m going to try to do some software

Cheers
Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Peter,
thatā€™s great that you can start building your rig. First of all, please open you own project thread to document your progress. Send me a link to it and will support you as good as i can.
To switch the conversation to german email would be easier but I think, itā€™s very important that the Odrive developer like madcowswe and wetmelon can see that there are still some todoā€™s with there software.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix!
Ok, I opened my own Project:

regards
Peter W.

Hi all sim builders,
if you try to build a 6dof think about that simtools has no calculation for sterling plattforms included. You need something that does the calculations for your geometry for you.
For me, I don`t want to go through an arduino. I found a solution that itā€™s worth to haver a closer look to.

Greeting / Zennix

1 Like

HI Zennix, firstly: Happy new year!!, and secondly: thank you for your assistance (again) I will look closer at this.

I just hope it makes sense enough for me to understand.

Regards Jerry :grinning:

PS: Iā€™m getting a bit closer to sending some pics, frame, wheel peddles (tick) actuators at the moment are in stages. :worried:

@Jerry.Atrick
Thank you, wish you a happy new year too.

The developer of the hexapod plugin for simtools opened a new thread especially for the plugin. He added also a manual. Find all the stuff here:

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix,
after making some initial tests with my own actuator and a 12 V Power-supply i am asking myself whether it is really necessary to go up to a 36 V Power source. So my question: Have you once tested your rig with 24V ? Is it still fast enough? What settings at vel_limit do you use?
And another question: Do you have an estimation of the average power consumption of 1 actuator? I am asking because I plan to connect three 20Ah, 12V batteries in a row to get the 36V. Parallel I would use a 36V, 8 A charger. I am not sure this will be enough.

kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter,
No, I never tested my rig below 36V. I also didnā€™t measure the current. Sorry
Having a higher voltage results in a lower current. Your and mine motors are capable to power 2000 Watts. With your air spring, you will never need 2000 Watts, but lets think about 1000 Watt. 1000/36 = 27 Amps. 1000/24 = 41 Amps. Thatā€™s a lot of current and you need thick wires. My recommendation is 36 Volts.
Think about a heave over all 6 actuators. Your batteries have to push 6000 Watts -> 24 V: 250 Amps, 36 V: 166Amps.
Your charger delivers only 288 Watts, you will quickly drain your batteries.
What do you think about a fat power supply with a minimum of 3000 Watts and parallel a 9S LIPO battery to buffer the peeks.

My vel_limit is set to 150.000.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi Zennix,
thanks a lot for your estimations!
Ok, I will follow your recommendation and go for the 36V - power supply.
Concerning the power consumption I will make some tests if the prototype is finished. I dont want to invest more than necessary.
kind regards
Peter

Hi Zenix, I am sooooooo sorry, I put my videos in the wrong thread !!! :scream: :cold_sweat:
I didnt want to spam your thread!!!
I straight removed them.
regards
Peter

Hi

When sending the possitions to the ODrives, what USB driver needs to be used?

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi,
in Windows 10 you didnā€™t need a driver. Connect the ODrive and you will find a serial port in the device manager. Use a terminal client like putty or HTerm to connect.

grafik

Greetings / Zennix

Hi

Okay thanks, so I have to connect them with putty before Iā€™m able to send commands with SimTools to the ODrives?

If my switches donā€™t work, I will put it on the forum, I hope you will see it then.

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi Stijn,

NO! Connect the ODrive to your PC and you will find a serial port in the device manager. Thats all simtools need. No other software is necessary.
If you want to send command manually you need a terminalprogram like putty or HTerm.

Greetings / Zennix

Hi

Ow okay, I get it, thank you :grinning:.

Cheers

Carelsbergh Stijn

Hi

Ik canā€™t find the sim addon for lfs and Iā€™m trying to use FlyPT because I have a 6DOF but I donā€™t know what command to send?

[p <Axis 1a>] or p <Axis 1a><13>